Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 04:06:53 PM

Author Topic: ESS 2.83 With C 53 encoder input board Mach 4  (Read 1030 times)

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
Re: ESS 2.83 With C 53 encoder input board Mach 4
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 10:44:10 PM »
Totally agree,  I was more interested in the all in one as it closes the loop to the controller vs just the servo.  But modern servos are very good if the mechanicals are tight.  I’m just a hobbyist so really no need at this point to go all in.    I had heard all kinds of bad things about Mach 3/4 prior to buying this mill.  After running it with 3 for a short time and updating to 4 I’m impressed.   I haven’t machined anything crazy but so far it’s been on the money.   I need to perform the recommended changes to the PC and clean up some wiring but think Mach 4 will do all I need .
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 10:53:23 PM »
Hi,

I was more interested in the all in one as it closes the loop to the controller vs just the servo

But that what it does. The rotary encoder handle the servo internal loops but the glass scale does the position loop which includes the non-linearities and
lash, the servo can do just exactly what the feed back controller does....only better! What I'm saying is these 'load sensing' servos EXCEED the full closed loop
controller.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 11:44:41 PM »
I missed the secondary encoder for the feedback loop,  how is  your system work with Mach 4?  Controller setup, etc. ?  I had two different machines in a non working state, one of mine and a friends. 

The main benefit to the centroid I could see was that we could use the original DC servos and for his machine it was more of a plug and play and he could have support other than me. 
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 12:09:45 AM »
Hi,
I use Delta B2 servos, ie the entry level version WITHOUT the secondary feedback loop. Given that I have ground THK C5 ballscrews I believe my accuracy demands, say 0.0mm or better
are reached without recourse to linear scales. As it turns out  the cheap Chinese linear scales are just not that good, and if you want the real deal like Hiedenhan then you pay huge
dollars.

I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper as motion control and an own design breakout board.

The main benefit to the centroid I could see was that we could use the original DC servos and for his machine it was more of a plug and play and he could have support other than me.

To be honest retaining the original DC servos is NOT a bonus. Yes; they can be made to perform well but requires considerable tuning, cost and complexity with respect to the motion controller.
Quite frankly my 750W Delta B2 servos ($438USD/each) make old school DC servos look like absolute muppets. The extra dollars you spend on a feedback capable controller like a Galil or a Centroid
will probably tip the balance in dollar terms alone by replacing the old DC servos and getting some decent AC servos. You never know you might find some twat to buy the old DC stuff....
you'd have money left-over to get really pissed! Do it before the twat realises what a mistake he's made.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 09:01:59 AM »
Hi all, and thanks for the help

I am getting readings out of the scale,

I changed the x axis DRO input to the encoder, I have not determined that they are correct though by some crude tests its close, though scaled up by 4 decimal places
As ryno3 mentioned the Zero X button broke

joeaverage in my case I am just installing scales I already have, to aid me in my CNC upgrade, basically to help me make the parts that will eventually make the scales unnecessary. The scales will likely end up on my lathe which I don't plan to CNC.

Attached are screen shots from my setup
-Peter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »
sorry the attachments were not included in my last post here they are

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:03 PM »
Take a look at the link below,  I haven’t got around to trying it yet but might this weekend.   You wouldn’t need the degree calculations. 

http://documentation.warp9td.com/Hardware/ESS/Software_Mach4/lua/luaEncoderInDegreesWithZero.htm