Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:39:25 PM

Author Topic: just bought a little baby cnc 280mm square davinci style thing  (Read 3964 times)

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: just bought a little baby cnc 280mm square davinci style thing
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2023, 02:23:13 PM »
so i just put 24v to the motor and see if it works
it it does what kind of relay do i need

the two wires from the tach thing cannot be connected to mach to see on screen speed/?
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2023, 02:34:01 PM »
Hi,

so i just put 24v to the motor and see if it works

YES!!! Its the simplest thing in the world to run a  brushed DC motor....just hook up a power supply. Higher voltage makes it go faster, lower voltage
makes it go slower. Reverse the connection and it goes backwards. So simple.

Unless you need speed control all you want is a switch to turn in on or off. If you desperately want to have Mach turn it on or off then you need a relay.
Don't get hung up about a relay.....you've wasted enough time doing everything BUT get the bloody thing to go! Until and unless it goes then everything
else is irrelevant. Stick to getting the motor to run. The tacho generator, if that's what it is, which is still questionable, is just going for a ride, you don't need it,
so ignore it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2023, 04:28:54 PM »
 great!!

i thought i controlled the speed in mach

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2023, 04:34:05 PM »
Hi,
yes you can get Mach to control the speed, Mach produces PWM which can control the speed if you have a suitable speed contoller for the spindle.
If your spindle is just a plain brushed DC motor then a variable voltage supply is enough.

Unless you need it why bother. 99% of the time you want your spindle to go flat stick....who cares if you can slow it down? If anything you want it to go
faster,more power, FASTER, FASTER!

Get get the thing going and worry about the rest later. You seem to be doing everything BUT get it going. Is there a reason?

Craig

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2023, 04:52:14 PM »
have not done the limit switches yet - have not bought anything yet
rs232 style connectors en route from the chine for the sheilded wires that
don't want to cut the shielded stock cables off to wire to the drives as they have a grounding wire in them
the fatter drives are en route too.
plus the solder and heat shrink

and I have been playing with the plasma table

have connected a motor and driver to the controller and sent it code, so I do have the 8 wire motors connected correctly.

had to do the plum couplings three times
first time 6.35 to 6mm 20 by 30 couplings x3 - didn't even go into the motor mounts , so bought three 14mm 6-6.35 couplings and due to the motor mount slkits being 90 degrees off the shaft, I couldn't get the grub screw done up, so just opened up the originals by hand with wet and dry .
had to file the motors with a 4mm chain saw file , that was easy enough.

also been playing with the plasma gantry's

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2023, 05:36:27 PM »
talking of limits
do i need 10mm bounce?
i am guessing i have 16mm screws 5mm pitch

just a bit more than 5mm?

cant crash the switch head on?

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2023, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi,
NEMA 24???...there is no such size.

NEMA23 yes, that is a size standardized by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association. This is a US based association and has no sway outside of the US.

In order to maximize sales opportunities many manufacturers', US and elsewhere, manufacture the 23 size. The '23' refers to 2.3 inches across the flats
or 58.42mm.

Other manufacturers, mainly European, Japanese and other Asian countries which are metricized have adopted a size of 60mm across the flats.

A 60mm motor does not quite fit into the hole that a 23 size motor came out of, and likewise trying to fit a 23 size motor into the hole a 60mm motor
came out of is not easy either. The bottom line is that you buy either a 23 size motor OR a 60mm motor depending on the dimensions of your machine.

60mm=2.362 inch, or with rounding becomes 24. It has become common practice to say NEMA24....when there is no official 24 size in the Nation Electrical Manufacturers
Association literature. What is actually being referred to is a 60mm motor.

If you ask a simple question, you'll get a simple answer.....questions scattered all over the spectrum less so.

Craig