Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:07:28 AM

Author Topic: Mech4 Velocity Calibration  (Read 478 times)

Mech4 Velocity Calibration
« on: August 29, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »
Hi all

I'm having some problems with "feed rate" with my CNC plasma cutter.

Question: Is there a "how-to" for setting and/or calibration the Velocity setting?

Found the how-to for setting counts

Thanks all

Re: Mech4 Velocity Calibration
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 06:40:59 PM »
The Velocity and Acceleration parameters on your Motors page are for adjusting the maximum velocity and acceleration that Mach4 will attempt to utilize while running your motors. Changing these would affect your feed rate only if the maximum allowed here was less than the feed rate requested by your G code. Feedrate also changes dynamically to keep the acceleration within the requested maximum.

Feed rate itself does not need calibration as it is computed automatically using the other parameters provided to Mach4. If you have the steps per unit calibrated correctly, Mach4 will produce accurate feed rates. Before evaluating feed rates, make sure the steps per unit are correct.

There are three other things that can affect the actual feed rate that occurs.

1) G0 commands are "rapid" move commands and ignore the F word in G code for setting feed rate. G1 commands should be used when needing controlled feed rate.

2) The user GUI has a provision for feed rate override. This is in the lower left area of the screens supplied with Mach4 and is labeled "FRO%". If the value is other than 100% the actual feed rate will be affected accordingly.

3) Feed rate control in G code is understood to be the vector sum of the feed rate of the individual axes and can cause the speed of individual axes to be reduced when the vector sum would exceed the requested rate.

Also be sure that your CAM software is inserting meaningful F words in the G code that it produces.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

Really apricate the time you put into your reply.

I've got something to process now.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 07:12:21 PM »
FYI

Had a power cut and then CAM software license needed re-setting (windows update?)(power cut?) then the feed rate went out. No idea if the problems are related?

Really strange.

You have given me something to work through now, thanks