Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:40:09 PM

Author Topic: Message line="Safe Z turned off-ignoring safe z move" but it's not turned off  (Read 37296 times)

At least I think I have it turned on.   ???  On the Config/Logic menu, Safe Z is checked.  On the Settings page I have a value set.  Where else does one need to turn on?

Funny thing is, I did have it working and then loaded a different .tap file and poof- weirdness.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sid
I don't use the safe Z stuff :( What are you trying to have it do?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
Thanks for the reply Brian!  Basically a Go to Zero command makes all axis go to Zero BUT, X & Y move first and leave Z wherever it is at.  This is a problem if say for example you have a problem and want to restart your program from Zero but you need your cutter to raise up to clear the part to get to Zero without damaging anything.

In other words, IMHO, after clicking go to Zero, the first thing that should happen is that the Z axis should go to Zero THEN the other 2 axis should do their thing.  By default it doesn't happen this way in Mach 3. 

Supposedly, if you use Safe Z, click go to Zero will First raise your Z axis to  the coordinate that you set on the settings page- then move X & Y to Zero.  It worked this way for me a couple of times and now it does not.  I get a message that says "Safe Z is turned off (which it is not as far as I can tell) - Ignoring Safe Z move.  Then the machine proceeds to go to Zero, scraping my Router bit all along the part in it's undying quest to reach 0.

Thanks again for your reply!

Regards,
Sid

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Hi:

Are the axis homes and green when doing this..?

Thanks
Art
Art!  Wow!  Cool! Thanks for your reply!

I'm not sure if I totally understood your question so, sorry in advance if I didn't check the correct thing.

If you are referring to the LEDS located next to the Zer X, Zero Y & Zero Z buttons, then my answer is... the machine exhibits this behaivior regardless of whether or not those LEDS are Green or Red.

Sorry if I am over explaining or repeating myself but here's what I do.  I Ref all to Home, then I go to one of my Work Offsets (in the middle of my table and start a cut.  Since I am new to G-Code I usually discover problems in the code and have to stop, edit my code, click go to Zero (my tool offset)  and start the cut over to see if I fixed what I screwed up this first time around.

Clicking Go to Zero will yield 1 of 4 results...

1. SAFE Z NOT CHECKED on CONFIG/LOGIC- X & Y simultaneously move to Zero, Z axis moves to Zero last (after doing a little thrash dance on the part).  I understand this is "normal" program behavior but, I wish you could change it around so Z moved first.

2. SAFE Z CHECKED on CONFIG/LOGIC - Message shows in status box saying "Safe Z turned off, ignoring Safe Z move". Machine goes to Zero in same manner as Example #1

3. SAFE Z CHECKED on CONFIG/LOGIC - Message shows in status box saying "Safe Z turned off, ignoring Safe Z move".  Interestingly, the Z axis DOES move first in this case, however, it blasts right past the Safe Z setting (on the settings screen) goes past the home switch, hits my stop, misses a few steps and decides to return (down) to zero (which by now is no longer really zero sice I missed a bunch of steps when I ran into the stop)

4. SAFE Z CHECKED on CONFIG/LOGIC- it works perfectly.  Clicking go to Zero causes Z axis to raise to safe Z setpoint (I have it set @ Z +.5000" ) then X & Y go to Zero and finally Z goes down to Zero- AWESOME!  (when it happens).

Don't ya just love unidentifiable intermittent problems?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Regards,
Sid

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Hi Sid:

I suspect the problem is the rather limited intelligence of the algorithm. First, Safe_Z is in machien coordinates, so a setting of +.5 is usually impossible for it to get to. Set it to -1 and I suspect it will work better for you. The other problem is that this is true only if a system is homed. If the system is not homed, then the safe_Z dro is in relative cooridnates, so a setting of +.5 woudl just moveit up by 1/2" . I suspect when it works for you, your not homes, and when it fails, you are homed, but the setting is wrong. Since Z (in maqchien coordinates) only moves from 0 downwards, the setting shoudl eb a negative one.
  Ill be revisiting this in the near future, Safe_Z is due for a drastic rewrite..

Thanks for the observations...

Art
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art,

You hit the nail on the head.  The Safe Z parameter on the settings screen refers to Machine Coords.  I did not know this and thought it referred to coords determine by my fixture offset.  When I made the Safe Z setting correspond to a safe machine coordinate it works perfect!

Awesome!  Thank you!

Regards,
Sid
Requested home axis homeswitch is active.. please fix, then home
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 05:56:05 AM »
What does that mean?
i am so confused now with home and soft limits..  ???

my axis travels from 0 to negative

What part are you confused about?  I'm not an expert but, I'll try to help if you can more accurately state your problem

Sid

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Hi Cathei:

If it says "Requested home switch ACtive" , then its seeing the home switch is pressed already. If it isnt pressed in reality, then look at the Diags page, is it lit?
If its lit, it thinks its pressed, so check the setting of "Low Active" on that switch.. General Rule #1, no LEDs on the diags page shoudl eb on, unless that switch or signal is Actively being input. So unless a switch is hit, the LED shoudl be off.. Otherwise, chaneg the low active setting..

Thnks
Art