Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:03:57 PM

Author Topic: Severe probing issues after Mach4 software upgrade  (Read 574 times)

Severe probing issues after Mach4 software upgrade
« on: May 18, 2022, 06:09:14 AM »
Hi, when upgrading to the latest Mach4 numerous probing issues have arisen. I have narrowed it down to that the likely cause is the Mach4 software. I have done clean installs with two different Mach4 versions, all other configuration and plugins are identical – one version works OK and the other does not.

I am using Mach4 with an ESS SmoothStepper;
- Mach4 version 4.2.0.4612 works OK.
- Mach4 version 4.2.0.4809 have issues with probing.
- ESS SmoothStepper uses plugin version 278.1 for both Mach4 versions.
- The Machine.ini is the same for both Mach4 versions.

I have seen other people reporting the similar problems, but have seen no solutions. Here are two examples of reports of similar problems;
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=46141.0
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=46052.0

Here is one short example for one of the probing problems. I am hoping that they all have the same underlying cause. It does a probe action (with a touch sensor to measure the tool length), followed by a short relative retract up from the touch sensor.
G91 G31 Z-50 F300
G91 G1 Z3 F100

The problem is that instead of going upwards after the probe action, it continues down into the table, resulting in a damaged touch sensor.

The problem is 100 percent repeatable, so I have recorded some logs when running the above Gcode;
Diag-Machine-4612-ok.txt – this is a log from version 4612 that works OK.
Diag-Machine-4089-nok.txt – this is a log from version 4809 that fails and continues downwards.

Note that I use my finger to press the touch sensor in the above logs, since I cannot let it run down in the table again. Therefore the timings of the press/release of the touch sensor (=probe) are different, but it should not make a difference from a real situation.

If anyone could help with this I would appreciate it very much, since I cannot get any clues from the logs myself.

The logs, and the Machine.ini, are attached to this post.

Best regards
Henrik
Re: Severe probing issues after Mach4 software upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 06:19:52 AM »
Sorry, did not see that attachments so I try again
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »
Do you need to upgrade to 4809?

According to the ESS plugin changelog there is plugin version 280 compiled against Mach4 build 4809 but it has a note saying it should not be used.

https://warp9td.com/files/Plugins/ESS/Mach4/_ChangeLog.txt

So I think for now stick with what works.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:43:20 AM »
I sure can work with the older version for now - I just thought it was worth notifying about this possible bug so that it might get some attention for future versions.