Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:01:03 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 probing module  (Read 1510 times)

Mach4 probing module
« on: March 21, 2022, 10:35:37 AM »
Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out how to get the probing module to work am Mach4 for weeks now, with no luck.
I use Mach4 coupled with Pokeys57cnc, my m6 script works flawlessly, but when I try to use Mach4 module for example bore center the probe strikes 2 or 3 edge then I get the ERROR “no contact with the probe” even though the LED lights up. There is no rhyme or reason, it always at random sometimes at the beginning of the coroutine sometimes in the middle and other time at the last stroke..
I reached out to polabs their only suggestion was to update both Mach4 and pokeys firmware to the latest version. But didn’t help…
Please if anyone could help me out or steer me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.
Thank you so much!
Re: Mach4 probing module
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
Hi,
the reason is that the programmers of the module have used g31 to move the probe point prior to a genuine probe move. Its safer than a g1, if the probe accidentally touches something
on its way to the preparatory location it will stop rather than crunch the probe.

Clearly the PoKeys regards a g31 move that DOES NOT result in a contact event as a fault and stops Mach with the error report you describe.

The Ethernet SmoothStepper behaves the same way by default, but that can be changed. See:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=45950.0

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Mach4 probing module
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 05:34:28 PM »
Hello Craig,

thank you so much for your reply! unfortunately Pokeys57cnc don't have  that option. I have been playing around with the probing module, and got the bore to work without errors. I know it's not the safe way, but I am using it to find the center of my trunnion chuck. I have made changes for the bore script only, I hope I am not playing with fire. I dashed out "rc = Probing......"