Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 06:20:44 PM

Author Topic: Manual pulse encoder & mach3  (Read 8388 times)

Re: Manual pulse encoder & mach3
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2022, 09:06:18 PM »
Hi,
yes, its that simple.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:13 PM »
Hi,
yes, its that simple.

Craig

Awesome.

Thanks for all the help and enduring my lack of knowledge!

I will post back here once I get the smooth stepper and everything wired in.

MN300  - thank you for your help as well!

Kyle
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »
Hi,
yes, its that simple.

Craig

One last question.

Looking at zeners, what MW do I want?

400? 500?

Thanks,

Kyle
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:53 PM »
Hi,
500mW would be plenty, but really anything you can get.

Craig
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2022, 10:10:44 PM »
Hi,
500mW would be plenty, but really anything you can get.

Craig

I can get 500MW ones.

Thanks 😎😎
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2022, 11:14:25 PM »
Hi,
yes, its that simple.

Craig

And I am back Craig! Haha

So, tested MPGs before hooking etc. All that's good from the above.

BUT, I had to get a smooth stepper as I couldn't get my PCI/parallel ports to settle. Way to much noise and motors stalled and surged etc. ********* show basically.

Smooth stepper fixed that, things run extremely well now.

Except, I have my C10 board plugged into the 2nd port of the ESS (from warp9) and I can't seem to get them to connect. I've tried following the set up articles and I dunno if it's cause I have Mach3 and not 4 but I don't have a lot of the screens shown in the set up.

So, basically I just took the printer port to the ESS and left the MPG port set up the same. But it doesn't talk for some reason.

The plugin screen that shows the encoders for the ESS and suppose to show a number as you dial, it doesn't read anything if I turn either dial (x and Z axis)

Any ideas? Let me know if you need photos of anything or video.

-Kyle
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2022, 11:25:44 PM »
Hi,
Machs parallel port is actually much more than just a port, its a software driven motion controller. You can only have one motion controller, either an ESS OR a parallel port,
you can't have both.

The ESS has three ports, set up and numbered to match the old-school parallel port which it replaces. If you have motor motion, jogging etc through the ESS then
all three ports should work. Note the in the ESS plugin you can select, at least for ports two and three, to have pins 2-9 (of each port) as inputs OR outputs. How have you set
them up?

Craig
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2022, 11:29:26 PM »
The ESS has three ports, set up and numbered to match the old-school parallel port which it replaces. If you have motor motion, jogging etc through the ESS then
all three ports should work. Note the in the ESS plugin you can select, at least for ports two and three, to have pins 2-9 (of each port) as inputs OR outputs. How have you set
them up?

Craig

Yes, just have the ethernet to computer. Both boards are connected to the ESS as shown in photo.

As for setting up the ports... I don't know? I followed the set up on warp9, never said anything about setting up ports on the ess itself?

Clearly I am missing something. I don't think anything is "wrong" with the ESS or the BoBs haha.

How do I go about setting up a second port on the ESS to register the C10 (as inputs I would assume)?

- Kyle
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2022, 11:30:59 PM »
Hi,
I use my ESS with Mach4 so the details may differ but the setting you need to make is in the ESS plugin.

Craig
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2022, 11:33:06 PM »
Hi,
I use my ESS with Mach4 so the details may differ but the setting you need to make is in the ESS plugin.

Craig

I will get some photos of the plugin screens tomorrow and hopefully something in there is set up wrong.

Thanks for the replies,

Kyle