Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:36:09 AM

Author Topic: Manual pulse encoder & mach3  (Read 8373 times)

Re: Manual pulse encoder & mach3
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »
Thanks Craig.

I could send these back through Amazon and get a refund easy enough.

I'm getting pretty tired of trying to make this lathe work. It was sold in working condition - but nothing worked. I couldn't get anything to talk and have slowly been replacing pieces and getting them running. Only saving grace was the price of the lathe lol.

I could also order from cnc4pc where I got the c10 board as they guarantee that things work. Only reason I didn't do that to begin was I was hoping the encoders on the lathe world work with the c10 but they didn't.

Chasing my tail endlessly here haha!

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 01:37:42 PM »
I have found general information about your encoder series but nothing that says what options yours has. If it does have open collectors it should work correctly with pullups.
If the encoder does test OK connect +A and +B to the inputs of your choice and configure the software to match.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »
Okay,

You were right on the pull ups and mach3 reads clicks and will move the motor. Awesome leap forward.

Testing voltage at the board and looks like if I turn clockwise, A will give 2.5v fairly consistently and counter clockwise is .5v (prob negative or what ever but my meter doesn't show a negative or positive sign.)

Now, the issue is, clockwise and counter clockwise move the motor  negative units on the X axis (so tool moves to the part regardless if I turn CW or CCW).

I'm guessing I don't have a setting set properly in mach3?

Just have mpg1 turned on with pins assigned for A and B.

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
I see two things wrong in your description of the encoder operation, the output only goes to 2.5V and the readings are different when you change direction.

Here is a video testing the same part number encoder.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvHlbB1eWSs
Look for two things as you watch. When the model number is shown the 2nd line is a different format than yours. video=NO D20180915 your photo=NO:YCJ 2021.04.02. Does the difference mean it's counterfeit or did they change the numbering scheme? Possibly it means it has different options.
About a minute in when the dial is being turned you can see when it stops the mechanical detent holds it exactly on an index mark.

The 2.5V reading instead of the 5V I expect could be you're turning too fast. If you stop on the detent and slowly advance one click at a time you should see either 0V or 5V.
The output pattern of a quadrature encoder is
A    B
0V  0V
5V  0V
5V  5V
0V  5V
etc.
Note the state of either output changes every 2 clicks.

The C10 boards inputs are CMOS. They expect an ON signal to be above 3.3V and an OFF signal to be below 1.6. The actual threshold where it decides whether an input is On or OFF is somewhere in between. If the IC on your board has a threshold a bit below 2.5V, and your measurement is correct the input would work - barely.

To summarize, either the output voltage of your encoder is too low or it's not a quadrature encoder.
Craig's suggestion to buy from a known good vendor may be the best solution.

John
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:24:45 PM »
I'll look into sending these back and buying better quality.

Lots of delay In these ones as well. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds for it to even move the motor?

This stuff is pretty frustrating haha.

I've tried searching for a place in Canada that sells MPGs but no luck finding one. Guess I'll have to wait for shipping from the US.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 07:26:53 PM »
Would these be suitable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273540259850?hash=item3fb045200a:g:P18AAOSwUm5b3JF9

The one Craig listed is 12V not 5V, which means I'd also need to buy a power source on top of the MPGs
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 07:51:12 PM »
Hi,

The one Craig listed is 12V not 5V, which means I'd also need to buy a power source on top of the MPGs

Very true, but its Japanese quality, and that's quality with a capital Q. Sensei have a range of different models, 12V, certainly....after all I have one, 24V I recall seeing and I think
a +5V/-5V one as well.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
The item in your link looks OK but is pretty expensive.
I searched ebay.ca for "100ppr Manual Pulse Generator" and found many items. This one claims to ship from the US.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/301581285751?hash=item4637a53977:g:cfEAAOSwPhdVG-QU
It's the four terminal type but you don't need -A or -B.
Lack of details in the listings always makes it hard to know what you are getting. It would be good to have one with mechanical detents so it stays put when you're not turning it.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »
Hi,
yeah, looks good....but does it smell of Chop Suey??? Whats the bet it's Chinese.

This is another Japanese brand...not cheap and second hand, and yet STILL preferable to Chinese rubbish:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131432378954?hash=item1e99faf24a:g:YqEAAOSwBLlU41Sn

5V input, A ans B outputs.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 08:09:39 PM »
Lol thanks Craig.

That one would be 130 dollars US just to ship to me - no go on that haha.