Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:08:17 AM

Author Topic: mach4 turn for dummies  (Read 815 times)

mach4 turn for dummies
« on: December 22, 2021, 12:35:31 PM »
Hi all,
I am not trying to be rude, this is a genuine question. I have owned twelve CNC lathes and mills in the past. I have retired now and have converted a small Denford Orac CNC lathe to stepper drives and have done quite a few little jobs quite successfully. I have been using Mach3 demo. I am now looking to buy a licence and be able to do small screw cutting.
My question is has Mach4 turn screw cutting function been sorted. and I am not a PC nut, could it be installed and set up by someone who is more interested in turning than playing computers. and what else in the way of add-ons would I need please. 
Re: mach4 turn for dummies
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
Fist off to run Mach4 you need a motion controller . The motion controller will have to support threading . As long as you you pick the correct hardware you will be able thread .I have a converted Dyna Myte DM3000 .I use a pokeys 57e and I can thread .You will need an encoder connected to the spindle at 1:1 and your drive motor should turn the spindle at 1:1 to make things easier .
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I have researched the pokeys 57e and it all looks good, not that I could judge. I have also looked at encoders. I can find lots of cheap encoders on ebay. Is it possible for you to tell me what Spec I need and do I need an interface/controller between this and the P57/PC?
Thanks for your help.
Mick
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
I am using a cnc4pc M16 connection board its a board that allows the pokeys 57 to connect to it and has screw terminals for all the input/outputs .Im using a 500 line encoder connected to the spindle at 1;1 and connects to M16 .For my spindle motor Im using a 1.8 kw. ac servo motor controlling the speed with plus minus 10 volts handled by the M16 sending the voltage to the servo driver for the Lichuan servo motor. Spindle drive is connected at 1;1 also.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 06:10:40 AM »
Thanks Gebe,
This is really the sort of help I need. I am isolating from my family as I have a very bad cold and do not want to ruin their Christmas. So I have had the time to research this all.
You have shown me a clear direction an I must thank you for replying in the middle of your Christmas.
Best regards Mick.