Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 09:27:13 AM

Author Topic: Probe calibration error  (Read 2612 times)

Re: Probe calibration error
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
Hi,
a lot of people encounter a problem with Mach probing routines because of one issue.

The developers of Mach liberally use g31 moves to move the probe tip around prior to actually probing the workpiece. In essence a g31 is like a g1 move,
but one that stops part way through the move if a probe event occurs. If no probe event occurs then the move will complete at its terminal position, just
like a g1 move. Thus if you want to shift the probe tip from probing the corner of a workpiece it perfectly acceptable to use a g31 to move it......but note
that you are not expecting that the probe tip actually contact anything, this is just a preparatory move. It means also that IF a probe event occurs then there
has been a programming error, this move is a preparatory move and is not SUPPOSED to tag anything along the way. If it does at least the machine will stop
rather than carry on and break the probe.

The ESS default behaviour when a g31 is executed is to record a 'probe failure' if the g31 move concludes at its terminal point WITHOUT encountering a probe event.
When using Mach4 probing routines that have made use of g31 preparatory moves then you can change the default behaviour by a setting on the ESS Probing tab
thereby avoiding the 'probe failure' warning.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 09:08:31 PM »
Hello joeaverage,
It is midsummer in the country where I live now, and it is very hot.
  Hi joeaverage, how are you doing?

I would like Art Soft and Warp9 to discuss and resolve this issue.
Many people struggle with this issue.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 09:28:23 PM »
Hi,

It is midsummer in the country where I live now, and it is very hot.
  Hi joeaverage, how are you doing?

Well I woke up this morning to snow on the hills behind my home, so pretty damn chilly!!

I would like Art Soft and Warp9 to discuss and resolve this issue.
Many people struggle with this issue.

I don't see that there's any real need, the default behavior of the ESS is to record a 'Probing Failure" if a g31 move executes and reaches its terminal location WITHOUT a probe event being detected.
If that does not suit, for instance you want to use Mach4 probing routines then you change it, it only requires a change in one check box, hardly an imposition.

Craig
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 01:33:58 AM »
I don't see that there's any real need, the default behavior of the ESS is to record a 'Probing Failure" if a g31 move executes and reaches its terminal location WITHOUT a probe event being detected.
If that does not suit, for instance you want to use Mach4 probing routines then you change it, it only requires a change in one check box, hardly an imposition.

I do. I need surface mapping and I need stock angle mapping. I need feature to work offset translation, etc, etc...

All of the Mach4 probing routines are 100% REQUIRED for me to reliably output multiple product / offsets in a single file using my ERP.

You know, standard production kind of stuff that makes money. After all, if you aren't making money then you are just a hobbyist.

So, essentially the ESS is a hobby controller. That isn't ALL bad. That is why Avid CNC uses it. The fact those guys wrote a script to change parameters back that their users "screw up" tells you their confidence level in their user base.  :P

Which is probably why you like their product. I get it. It's a pretty reliable and simple system for the hobbyist. The knowledge requirement for entry is very low and the fun factor is really high. You gotta give them credit!

BUT, Warp9 and their ESS product is only used in Mach3/4. They should figure out a better way forwards because disabling the big money features like probing because you can't find common ground is a bad customer experience. PERIOD.
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 02:08:17 AM »
Hi,

They should figure out a better way forwards because disabling the big money features like probing because you can't find common ground is a bad customer experience. PERIOD.

But all those features work perfectly, all that is required is to check/uncheck a single box to have the ESS behavior conform to your wishes.

I for instance use Autoleveller and for that purpose I WANT the ESS to record a 'Probe Failure' and stop the routine so I can inspect and detect
the fault. I've been using Autoleveller for eight years, the last three commercially.

Note also that Autoleveller predates McSuraface  and Mach's Probing routines by at least several years. So if you want to talk about
'standard ESS behavior' then the ESS default behavior is it. Its only since McSurface and Machs Probing came out that people have started having issues,
and if they actually read the manual they'd find it had been explained and documented for nearly four years now.

Craig
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2023, 12:46:39 AM »
Ok, I know this is an old topic but the issue hasn't been resolved for me, at least not all of it.

Thank you for the suggestions that have been made.

I ended up buying a new dedicated computer for this machine and that fixed all the weird glitches the mill would have from time to time and the Single surface, 2 surface centering (inside), Corners (inside) and Bore/Boss (bore) probe routines work flawlessly. All the others... not so much.

The problem seems to lie in the routines that require more than 1 axis movement to get into position for probing ie; X, -Z, -X to first probe then X, Z, -X, -Z, X to second probe.

I tried the uncheck box and that did at least get me through half the 2 Surface Centering (outside) probe routine but with velocity FIFO buffer errors as the axis movement direction changes. Clearing these FIFO errors would allow the routine to continue to probe the first surface (so from center to first probe and back to center would give me a total of 8 velocity FIFO errors to clear). It would then pause at the center (very briefly) on the way to the next probe position but fall short of the intended destination, moves -Z expecting to move down then back in to probe but obviously gets a false probe hit as the probe touches the top of the thing it's meant to be going down beside.
Wow, try and piece that together in your head. A video would be easier to see but I'm to lazy for that.

And before anyone asks, The width and Approach and starting position are correct.

I tried changing the buffer size and plugin frequency to alleviate the FIFO errors but this didn't help.