Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:12:48 PM

Author Topic: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info  (Read 147402 times)

Offline DanJ

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Re: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
Working! But I don't know why. I reinstalled Xbox Controller and the Xbox 360_64Eng and the errors stopped showing up on startup. Then I could edit the Xbox plugging. Closed and reopened and the controller worked.

Novec thank you for your help. Hopefully someone else learns from our experiences.

Thank you,
Dan

Offline novec

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2020, 08:31:19 AM »
So you just downloaded an old version and Win10 let you install it instead of 12? Cool.

That's not quite the way DirectX works. DirectX is a massive set of instructions required for gaming and multimedia - think 3D graphics, surround sound, controllers and what not - and some of those instruction sets are removed or replaced instead of being updated as new versions come out. So when you install an old DX version you're just adding back those missing components, not downgrading what's already there.

Another interesting thing. I tried the Xbox Shilling and it fails too.

Any kind of software that uses a controller, be it games or Mach3 plugins, rely on Windows to interpret the hardware and provide access to whichever sticks and buttons that controller might have. So if Windows doesn't understand the hardware, which for these old controllers requires DX9, nothing will be able to use it.

Working! But I don't know why. I reinstalled Xbox Controller and the Xbox 360_64Eng and the errors stopped showing up on startup. Then I could edit the Xbox plugging. Closed and reopened and the controller worked.

Nice! Windows can be picky about which order you install things in, as they can rely on each other in more or less logical ways. And most lower level stuff can only be loaded during the startup process of the program or the computer itself. That's why you need to restart Mach3 if a wireless controller goes into standby mode after a while and cuts the connection. So, as always when you're dealing with Windows: If in doubt, reboot :-)

Btw, XBox360_64Eng shouldn't be required for Windows 10. That's a driver that's included in the OS, or automatically downloaded from Windows Update when you plug it in.

Lars
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
Restarting doesn't always help as well as you say. I had an absolutely similar problem with Xbox, but unfortunately, the method that you did not help me. I am now looking for more solutions that can help me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:55:58 AM by Tweakie.CNC »

Offline novec

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2021, 05:40:32 AM »
Restarting doesn't always help as well as you say. I had an absolutely similar problem with Xbox, but unfortunately, the method that you did not help me. I am now looking for more solutions that can help me.
Do you have any more information than "Restarting doesn't always help"? And which method didn't help?