Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:27:08 PM

Author Topic: Motor Speed  (Read 635 times)

Motor Speed
« on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:33 PM »
Hello All,

I have a DYI CNC router that I built a couple of years ago.  I am running Mach 4 thru an ESS and a breakout board.  The x axis was belt driven by a NEMA 23 motor and a 1" pulley.  It worked fine like this but occasionally the belt would slip and ruin a project.  So, I upgraded to a ball screw on the x axis.  I knew I would have to recalibrate the motor and I was fairly sure I knew how.  Apparently not!  I calibrated the motor to move exactly 1" when told.  It takes 130350 steps per unit to do this.  The maximum I can get the motor to move is 15 inches per minute.  At 16 inches per minute it will accelerate, the motor will stop, then it will go again while decelerating.  It's weird.  While it is "paused" (I don't know how else to describe it) the mach screen shows that the motor is moving.  Mach believes it is.  I know the motor must turn a lot more with the ball screw than with the pulley to move the same distance.  Could this be an issue with the motor driver settings?  I have searched the forums and youtube for the answer but I haven't had any luck.  Does anyone have any advice?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Speed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »
You are exceeding the motor driver's duty cycle or motor's upper RPM limit.  How is the motor driving the ball screw?  What is the pitch of the ball screw?  You will probably have to gear the motor to turn LESS steps per inch.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 to 20,000 is a good target. 

Steve