Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:34:50 PM

Author Topic: SSR m7 serial  (Read 1198 times)

SSR m7 serial
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
Would appreciate any help on the following.
I am running M4 with a pmdx-411 and g540.
I am out of outputs available with this setup.
For a mist system I have a 3vdc - 12vdc SSR
What is the easiest way to control that switch?
It seems that I should be able to control it through a serial cable.

TIA

RT
Re: SSR m7 serial
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:48:28 PM »
Hi,

I am out of outputs available with this setup.
For a mist system I have a 3vdc - 12vdc SSR
What is the easiest way to control that switch?

That's why God invented PLCs. Just about ethernet connected PLC will work. You use Machs built-in MODBUS plugin over ethernet
to the PLC. The PLC depending on model will have digital inputs and outputs at the very least, and analogue inputs and outputs
optionally.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
Craig, you have been a great resource here over the last few years and have given great advice and insight which is much appreciated.  However, I am an electronically challenged individual.  I've tried to glean something from the internet regarding PLC modules but l am befuddled by their usage of wattage, amps, volts...

I don't know how to evaluate the options.  Would this work: https://www.amazon.com/MODBUS-Multi-Function-Ultra-Small-Controller-Channel/dp/B08238RBNH/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=plc+controller+12v&qid=1618326075&sr=8-4  If not could you supply a link to what I should be considering?

If money and time were no object I would buy a new bob and ess and power supply, or, buy another PoKeys57CNC since I have one of those on my mill and have successfully hooked in a mist system on that.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:10 PM »
You can also use a Pokeys to control that SSR.  And that will also give you lots of expansion.  Pokeys operates on 3.3v so you have to use SSRs to switch higher voltages.  As for inputs, you need to use logic level voltage switches (like PNP or NPN prox switches) as well.  No mechanical switches on 3.3v inputs, as they will be noisy.

I really wouldn't use anything that is serial if you can help it.  Ethernet is way better in the long run. 

An example of a low cost PLC, Ethernet, 8 DC inputs and 6 relay outputs.  No SSR needed with the relays on the outputs.  :)  It does require a 24v power source:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/programmable_controllers/click_series_plcs/click_plcs_(stackable_micro_brick)/plc_units/c0-10dre-d

The PLC isn't $12.00 like that serial modbus thing, but it is a more industrial solution.

Steve
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:25 PM »
You guys just cost me a lot of money! ;)

RT

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 05:03:08 PM »
You guys just cost me a lot of money! ;)

RT

That's what we are here for.  LOL!!  Keeping the world's economy running one post at a time!  :) 
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »
Hi  rhtuttle,

The other option that you mentioned was a Pokeys57CNC. Since you have installed one before it might be easier than learning how to program the PLC and set it up for Modbus comms.

P.S. I have a Click PLC and really like it.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »
That's the route I took along with 2 teknic clearpath motors and cables and power supply.
Now I just need some recommendations on the logic level limits!