Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:38:01 PM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42714 times)

vmax549

Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »
Dennis there are a host of drives out there that will run your servos. BUT they are NOT the DIY type. Your servos are TOO large for most of the low end DIY drives that were designed around small/cheaper servo setups.

SOmetimes if you are going to play big to have to spend big.(;-)

I was in the same boat when I started my project. I soon realized that at the level I wanted to play in I had to have very dependable drives.

I did a quick search for your application and there are plenty of options out there. You just have to know what you are looking for and be able to commit the $$$$$. I also came across some vendors that offered replacement drives for some of the older machines.

BUT before I would spend the money in your case I would make absolutley SURE that your drives are dead. It still could be something relatively simple. If you are certain that you are going to strip it down and start fresh, then strip out all the unneccesary hardware and hook the drives back up in a simple MODE (power supply, drives and servos) and retest the drives again without all the old gizmos interfaced to them.

Keep it simple (;-) TP

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:06:34 AM by vmax549 »
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »
TP
After finding out the fact the DIY drives won't fit the bill i am going to back and look at the drives in the machine, problem is who ever had the machine before me coobled so much to the electrical system  I found it hard to make heads or tails of it but i did make my way through it and found one of the power supplies over voltage to the drives and i don't know if it hurt them i am going to look at repairing the power supply or replacing it just didn't want to through good money after bad and in the end finding out i needed to replace it all anyway don't mind spending some money but having been down this road before and getting screwed over with promises i don't want to repeat this again.

Dennis

vmax549

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2007, 02:59:36 PM »
If that is your mission then just strip out all the extra junk and rewire that whole shebang. It is not that hard to wire up the basic drive system. You are going to go to MACH controll anyway so you do not need all the old gizmos. It will make it a LOT simpler to trouble shoot the system if it is simplified to start with.

I believe there are Vendors that may can repair your drives at a lot lower price than $900ea (;-)

But as I said before a new set of drives will take most of the worry about down time out of the equation. If you buy step and direction drives you also make it simple to hook up to mach and will not need any analog convertors. You just need a computer, BOB, and cables.    My machine paid for the new drive$ in 30 day$.

GOOD LUCK and keep us up to date on where you are at on your project. We will help you celebrate when you have it slinging chips.

(;-) TP

vmax549

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
Dennis somewhere on a site there was someone that had a old set of SD drives they wanted to get rid of ???? HUM I can't remeber where it was, try doing a couple of searchs. It was either here or over on the yahoo site.

(;-) TP

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
TP
Thanks i will do a search or them it remains to be seen how this all turns out i have a CNC lathe and another CNC mill but it's much smaller then the Lagun machine it would be great if i had work for the Lagun but i don't so spending a lot of cash on it right now is not in the budget my thought was i could get it up and running with out to much of an investment looks like that plan is out the window i am hoping i find the present drives in working order and use them until such time it pays for itself and i can upgrade to a more modern drive system know anyone who needs some machine work done.

Dennis

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
Hi, Dennis

Did you download the diag.'s I sent you a total of 3.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Hi Chip
Know i did not as i was planning to go with a new drive set up but that plan now is in question i am going to work on the machine through the holidays as i am getting caught up with work so i will attempt at that time to look at saving the servo drives already in the machine if i can and i will download the Diag's now thanks fro reminding me you had sent those.

Dennis
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
Chip
I have looked back through the post and can not find the Diag's.

Dennis
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
Hi guy's
Made some progress sorting the machine out i found a small power supply that supplies the 15 +& - voltage to the drives has a voltage reading of 15volts + and then a Reading of 27.8 volts - so this must be down as i see it would it be possible to use a 12 volt power supply from a computer as it has + & - 12 volts ? next i have traced back the wiring for the servo motors to the wiring cabinet so now i can power the motors from the cabinet wiring removed all the drive boards and gave them a look saw nothing smoked so i am hoping they a salvageable and in looking at the wiring from the drives i see only one wire that looks like it is capable of handling the current to the motors the others are way to thin so the big question is how dose the drives reverse the power to motors is there another devise that dose this?

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2007, 03:21:03 AM »
Dennis, the drives reverse the polarity internally, so no other devices to look for.
Hood