Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:40:18 AM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42700 times)

Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »
Hood & Chip
Just got off the phone with Gecko tech support the 302 drives won't work with the servos on the machine Marisis Say's way to high amp and voltage for there little driver's any suggestion's will i have to go with the drives that are in the machine they are really expensive.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
OK so what kind of Amps are you talking about?
 Are the original drives dead?

Hood
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
Hood
I don't know if the drives are dead or not as i can't get the system up and running who ever had the machine originally bypassed all kinds of stuff to the point it now only makes sense to him in order to get it to operate this is why i was hoping to gut all that out of the machine and switch it to geckos then go from there the motor's are 15 amp the encoders are Sumtak dc 5v 160 ma they are 8 wire opitical it says the no on them is lbl-007-500 dose that mean they are 500 line encoder? or half that at 250 can't find any info on the net for them.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
Have a look at the Tek 10 drives, they are rated 25Amps but I think Pete said to me that they are meant for 15Amps continuous motors. They are a bit more expensive than the Geckos. Give Teknix's a mail with your motor specs and see what they say, they are in Australia but I think they have a dealer in the USA.   www.cncteknix.com

Hood
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 04:44:44 PM »
Hood
Have you used these drives or anyone else used them i don't see a USA dealer on there listed on there web site would i need to use there interface in order to use there drives.
How can i find out if these drives work suppose i could just call the company up.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
Brian Barker has them, I actually had them but blew them up, then again my motors were 225Amp peak :D didnt realise that at the time LOL
 They are nice boards, lots of adjustment on them and well made and thought out. I am keeping the top boards on mine (lower boards that blew) as they can be used for Step/dir to analogue converters and I may have a need for them ;)

Hood
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
Hood
Since you already had a set of these boards can you tell me how to test them i would like to know if they work rather then buying new boards now that i know the geckos won't work.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 02:23:59 AM »
Dennis
 Think we are at crossed purposes here, I thought you were talking about anyone having the Tek10 drives but think you are meaning the drives in your mill. Sorry never had the ones that are in your mill. To test, if you can power the mill up you could apply a voltage to the drives analogue input from a 9V battery and the motors should rapid. If it wont power up then maybe you can remove the wiring from the drives and hook them up without the control and test them that way, should be easy enough if you have schematics, if you dont then :(
 Hood
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
Hood
We were talking about 2 different drives, and yes that's my problem the machines computer has a fault and it's such old technology i don't want to bother with it but in order to get some direction now that i know the geckos won't work i need to know if i will have to replace the drives or not thus the reason for asking about testing them i did get some info from servo dynamics just trying to make sense of it is always the curve of this stuff i will just have to work through it thanks.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
I think you should be able to power up the drives by themself and then apply an analogue voltage (9V battery) and they will move. Obviously you will have to find out how to switch on the power to the drives as previously that was probably controlled by the computer.
Hood