Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:12:48 PM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42720 times)

Milling machine wirth servos
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
Hi guy's
Need a little help i have a Lagunmatic milling machine with a dyna path control something is down in the controller and dyna path was less then helpful so now i want to remove the controller and run it with my MAch 3, question is can i use the same drivers that are in the machine as they seam to be ok also can i use an interface board such as  CNC4PC to run the drives.

Next question how do I actuate the direction on the drives to test the servos out when i installed geckos on my lathe i did actuate the drives moving the steppers just can't remember which wire and i don't want to fry anything if i can help it.

Thanks
Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:30:23 PM »
Your servo drives will probably use an analogue voltage (+-10v)  to control the motors speed and direction, if this is the case then you will need to get a digital to analogue converter for each axis. The Skyko Pixies are for this, also the Tecknix drives CPU board can do this but I am not sure if they will sell the CPU board  seperately. You may also find that your servos have resolvers on them, if so then you will need to get encoders.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
Hood Thanks for the reply
Sounds like it's going to be envolved and complicated to get the machine running, would the machine's servos have encoders already on them or somewhere in the machine ?

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »
Shouldnt be too complicated as long as you can find out which terminals are for the analogue voltage. The motors may have encoders on them or as I said it may be resolvers, some machines have the encoders on the ballscrews or even use glass scales. If you have some pics of the motors etc it might help distinguish what you have.
Hood

ps there is a slim chance that your drives take a step and direction input in which case you could connect direct to the breakout/parallel port. This is unlikely though but you may be lucky.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:31:25 PM »
The servos are baldor and there are no scales on the screws can i'll try and look them up on the net and see what i can find for info
and again thanks for the reply
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
well i found a schematic for the servos and it say's encoder's on encoder blue print it shows +5 then ground next the letter b with a - over it then b next the letter M with a - over the letter then the letter M then a with a - over it and the letter A and all the color codes for each.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
Where do the encoders go to? is it to the control or the drives, I suspect the control.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »
it looks like the encoders are on the end of the servo motors the wiring schmatic leads me to think the wires go to the drive's.

Dennis
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »
hood
 when you say where do the encoders go do you mean the contol head with the screen because there are motor controls but i suspect they are just the tipicle jog control.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:41:08 AM »
I am meaning do they go to the drives then from the drives to the control (computer) or do they just go direct to the control?

Hood