Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:07:59 AM

Author Topic: code conversion Mach 3 to Mach 4  (Read 1092 times)

code conversion Mach 3 to Mach 4
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
So I have a piece of code  produced as an exercise in Mach3.
I try to load it into Mach 4 as a test routine .
An error comes up saying unrecognised code in line 1   which is   "G18 G64 G80 G90 G40 G49 "
Now not  being sure of all the codes I just deleted line 1 to see if it would work presuming there would be  defaults in there which would work anyway.
So now when I load  into Mach 4 it is happy to load and run  but with crop circles on the display and the machine happily follows these in run mode .
I have had these before in Mach 3  and I seem to remember it being to do with the absolute or incremental modes
Can anyone remind me how to change these in Mach 4

Which piece of code in line one is upsetting mach 4  and why?
It surprises me that code is not portable between on and the other
Re: code conversion Mach 3 to Mach 4
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
Hello,
G91.1 is for Inc Arc center and you can select that (or ABS) under configure -> Control and the ArcCenter mode

Now as for your Gcode. I am going to on out on a limb and say you are running a lathe. I say that because your plane selection is in the XZ plane (G18). Mach4 has a full Lathe Gcode interpreter, mach3 has a hacked to sort of lathe interpreter :) . mach4 changes the Gcodes to match what you will see in a trade school on a lathe. If I had to guess G49 is the one that is giving you trouble I would also take the G90 out as INC ABS codes are not used anymore in turn. INC moves are done with the U and W. It's really cool you can move the X axis U.005 while you do a Z -1.0 and take a tapper out of a part that you machine may be putting in (mechanical issue ) . We do things like that all the time when we are ruining production.

Hope that helps and gives you a little insight as to why your seeing what you are.

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 06:54:32 PM »
Doesnt really help me to overcome the problem Brian.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »
Okay let’s take this a little slower, are you running a lathe or a mill?

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 04:59:20 AM »
Lathe ,
Runs code happily in mach 3 but that same code jut gives me crop circles in mach 4  regardless of abs or inc  arc settings in control page .

I am also finding that when I exit from Mach 4 there is a copy of Mach4 gui left running in the background  which prevents me from reopening "Mach 4 lathe" so I have to go into application manager and delete before I can open mach again. or restart the whole computer.
There are other strange happenings   too ..  left arrow on keyboard now jogs right. It was fine a couple of days ago .
When I go into Diagnostics/ keyboard settings  I cant change it back.  The screen has a flicker .
I presume these latter issues are not connected to the crop circles , but all adding to my initial experiences of Mach 4 .

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 05:55:15 AM »
What are you running for a plugins? And are you trying to do Modbus and not getting the communications? Something is not allowing the core to shutdown.
Please upload a gcode file and I will tell you what is wrong. Mach3 is way more mill and 4 has a full on turn Gcode interpreter.

I want to help but I need you to help me help you. I wish I could see what your seeing because I could do more.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:00:40 AM »
What are you running for a plugins? And are you trying to do Modbus and not getting the communications? Something is not allowing the core to shutdown.
Please upload a gcode file and I will tell you what is wrong. Mach3 is way more mill and 4 has a full on turn Gcode interpreter.

I want to help but I need you to help me help you. I wish I could see what your seeing because I could do more.

Hi Brian
Sorry I have not been around for a few days .
The only plugin AFAIK is the UC100 one ,  I have never tried anything to do with modbus.  I saw it in the config memory  but I am going one step at a time so was not tempted to anything new . 

I find this is a nuisance though.

Do you get involved in problem solving by screen sharing
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 07:10:21 AM »
If you can send me a PM and I will have one of the guys contact you to check out your PC.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 10:40:55 AM »
G90 is the culprit.  Since M4 has gone to Fanuc style gcode lathes do not have absolute /incremental 90/91, instead use xyz for absolute and uvw for incremental.
Also UC100 Mach4 plugin has not been fully tested on a lathe and they have said not to expect it to.  Had one and dumped it after they told me that.

THT

RT