Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:09:38 PM

Author Topic: Need help. Mach 3, ESS Smooth Stepper, Windows 10  (Read 1381 times)

Need help. Mach 3, ESS Smooth Stepper, Windows 10
« on: December 21, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »
My father was using a old XP Computer with Parallel port to K2 router using Mach3. That computer is on its last leg and I bought him a new desktop computer with Windows 10. I also purchased him a ESS Smooth stepper from soigeneris. I downloaded Mach 3 on the new computer and followed all instructions from Sogeneris step by step and copied over his old profile. When i open Mach 3 it is locating the smooth stepper there are no issues there however when I try to jog the machine Mach 3 doesn't respond meaning its like the keyboard is not even attached to the computer. Nothing happens. I tried to do a driver test from the mach 3 folder but it states no driver installed. I am at a loss and not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Re: Need help. Mach 3, ESS Smooth Stepper, Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Hi,

I've used Mach4 for so long I forget all the Mach3 details.....however:

I tried to do a driver test from the mach 3 folder but it states no driver installed. I am at a loss and not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You cannot install a 'Driver' ( Mach3's parallel pulse engine and motion controller) on a Windows 10 machine. That's why it warns you is no driver....its perfectly OK.
That's what the ESS and the ESS plugin are all about, the combination of the two replaces the 'Driver'.

I suspect that you don't have the keyboard or keyboard jog enabled. A regular Mach3 user will be able to tell you about that.

Does MDI work? MDI is much more telling and useful for tuning and testing your machine.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:05:42 AM »
if you use Standard 1024 screenset there is on the program run page (first tab) in the
middle bottom u button called Jog ON/OFF. is there a green Frame around the button?

next Thing is, witch Version did you install? there is a patched Version for Win10 avaliable.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
Thank you for your reply's.

I have the jog on/off button enabled, it is green. Also I set up all the shortcuts in Mach 3. I also clicked tab to bring up MPG Mode and was sure it was in cont and that is not working either. Also no response on the MDI Screen from the keyboard. However I know the keyboard works because i am typing this message. It's almost like something it blocking it in the computer.

I will double check the version I downloaded for Mach 3 and maybe look for the patched version for Windows 10. Thanks guys I appreciate any pointers and steps to try. This is very frustrating. At least when I set up his old system i was able to get the table to respond to the keyboard and i had to just tweek the setup from there.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
Just wanted to give my final update. We found that the ESS Smooth stepper was making my Mach3 think the Estop was on. I had to go into the Smooth stepper in Mach 3 and unclick the checkmark from Estop. Since Mach 3 thought the Estop was on it wasn't allowing my keyboard to communicate with Mach3.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 06:36:18 PM »
Hi,
I notice you have gone to a lot of effort and possibly expense to update your fathers machine,
I'm sure he will be delighted and proud.

What you may not know is that the ESS has a complete and well developed Mach4 plugin. So you could download
Mach4 (demo=no cost) and try it out. As a demo Mach4 will operate normally for six minutes before it stops and needs
to be restarted.....but in those six minutes you have all the Mach4 goodness.

This is a thread which describes in some detail those features of Mach4 which well exceed the same or similar features
of Mach3:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=42891.msg278176#msg278176

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'