Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:56 AM

Author Topic: Another Mad Project!  (Read 21498 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Another Mad Project!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 06:01:59 PM »
No problem, I have a volume control :D
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
Wayne,

Video as requested. First try with youtube, hope it all works. It is in the Youtube Mach group at:-
http://www.youtube.com/group/artsoft

I was going to call the background "The Scream of Tortured Brass" accompanied by a Xylotex and "The Chinese Steppers", but the sound has been attenuated by the system. :(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehit1ip1LfM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehit1ip1LfM</a>

Ian
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:08:50 PM by Ian Ralston »
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
For a realy good toolplate lathe, have a look at
http://www.omni-turn.com
then - View Our Movies - More Video Automation - Pill Case Demo.

No connection, just gave me the motivation to try a toolplate.

Ian

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »
Ian

Nice little vid.   Reminds me how much I hate the sounds of steppers and that DC spindle drive though!   I'm changing mine to 0.55kW 3 Phase motor and Inverter drive.   One of my TCL machines had a dead Gemini drive anyway.  I think it may have been this one I'm currently working on.

I'm quite familiar with the OmniTurns, yes Gang Tooling has it's merits on Chuckers.  I have discarded the Tailstocks on my TCL's too!

Here's a couple of pics of the Carcase of the current victim.   You can see the hole I cut in the bottom, did I say these machines were really rough LOL.   When all welding done they'll have to get grit blasted and posder coated.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
Wayne,

Don't underestimate the Lenze DC Motors, they are very good performers, if you get a good driver. My Boxford was fitted with a mechanically interlocked reverse/forward contactor, so if I ever need to do small hole tapping, it should be OK. I know what you mean about VFDs, ftted to my manual big lathe and 626 manual mill, they are a revelation (revolution?).

I hope you will keep posting pictures of your progress, judging by the number of people reading this thread, there is a lot of interest.

Ian

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »
Ian

Not under estimating the Lenze motors!   I do dislike DC drives compared to modern AC drives.   It stems from the big DC spindles I seen blow up bigtime in Hardinges.

My Hardinge HXL-S (Another thread on here) had a 4kW DC drive, It's now a 3kW AC system, this is quieter and appears from initial testing to have just as much  torque.  But then it is a rather expensive Siemens affair.

The Lenze motors and the Motors fitted to the Little emco's actually make quite nice DC servo motors for the larger retrofit ;)

Tonight I welded  the chute into the hole I cut into the bottom of the case.   Looking purposeful now!

Next week I'll have to concentrate on the Hardinge though.

Wayne....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
Here's a pic of the waste disposal chute !!   Fairly happy with the way it turned out. 

Gave me an excuse to repair the wire feed on my Mig welder which stripped all it's gears about 4 years ago!   No need to go borrowing a friends again now.

Next to make the stand which will be from 1" box section, and have a coolant tank in the bottom.

Wayne....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
You going to build a chip conveyer :D Seriously though its should make a big difference on such a small machine to get all the turnings out of the way.

Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »
It's very likely Hood.   I do produce a lot of chips in my little workshop ;)   The leadwell mill produces about 200kg a week in ally.  In fact I got a friend up here cleaning up after me!

Initially I'll probably just put a bin under it, and see how it goes.   But even on the little emco's when turning Delrin I have to empty the bugger every 10 minutes or so.   The Boxfords I want to be able to run lights out, on a few jobs I have which is ideal for them.

Wayne....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
Are they very complex jobs that will take all night or are you going to fit a bar puller or bar feed and a power chuck?

I am away to do away with my power chuck on the lathe, the reason is its a closed centre chuck so nothing can go through the spindle, also my type of work is different from one piece to the next so setting the jaws for each diameter will be a pain. I do a few prop shafts for boats which need to go through the spindle as they can be 10ft or more long. I am about to get a four jaw  and a 3 jaw 12inch manual chuck, they will be much better for the work I do.
Hood
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:16:13 PM by Hood »