Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:06:49 PM

Author Topic: ESS with C11G R9 wiring  (Read 2011 times)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
ESS with C11G R9 wiring
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »
Hi, I have an ESS and the C11G R9 breakout board. I have joined the Warp9 board but they don't seem to be too active over there or even let me post my questions. So, I have a 4' by 8' CNC router that I am converting to ESS with Mach3, through the C11G BOB. the C11G instructions PDF is vague to the point of being awful. Same goes for the graphic of the hookups. Copied from the PDF:

6.0 VARIABLE SPEED CONTROL
This function lets you control your spindle with PWM signal. It converts the PWM signal
into an analog (0-10VDC).
This function can also be used on many DC motor controllers by replacing the
potentiometer that controls the speed.
Requirements:
It requires a power supply external +12VDC@ 30mA for the analog output
WARNING: To keep the output signals optoisolated, these must not have
common ground or connections to current with other circuits you are using.
You will require a voltmeter to fine tune your system.
Wiring:
Before connecting anything, please be sure to read your VFD’s manual and make sure
you understand all the safety issues.

This tells me almost nothing as to what ports to use, but mostly that it suggests to use the onboard mechanical relays to control the VFD. This makes no sense to me. I need to hook up the forward and reverse, how would that work from a relay, am I supposed to use up two of the relays for this? Also it is vague about power requirements, there are two places for 5VDC, is one of these a supply or do I supply 5V to that point?
Re: ESS with C11G R9 wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:35:55 AM »
Hi,
the VFD should provide a 10VDC (and COM return) supply for the PWM output of the BoB.
There is a 10VDCoutput on the VFD an the PWM terminal of the BoB will modulate that to the required 0-10VDC.

The BoB switches the relays which in turn energise or de-energise the FWD/REV and START/STOP inputs on the VFD.
Whether you use a VFD derived supply, a BoB derived supply or your own independent supply is often a matter
of convenience but depends largely on the VFD inputs.
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: ESS with C11G R9 wiring
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply. So, I cannot get this combination to move my steppers yet. Mach3 is communicating with the ESS, it pings in the warp9 test software, both the ESS and the C11G boards have power. I have disabled the charge pump jumper on the C11G, and am not using it in Mach3. Stuck at this point, this was a running CNC router that I removed the USB control it has and replaced with the ESS and C11G connected to a fresh Win7 laptop.