Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:40:08 AM

Author Topic: edge finding/2.5D probing  (Read 128701 times)

Re: edge finding/2.5D probing
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi Ian

Want to you inform that I have published on Youtube a video with the use of your program.

At the end of the second part I have inserted the link to your site.

These is the link to Youtube:

1 of 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QanVLmQRw
2 of 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNzBlZg6o8

Videoes have the explanations in Italian but this there is no problem about seen that the images speak by it self.

Thank you very much for your beautiful software.

Andrea

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:41 AM »
Hi Andrea

Great videos. Glad you like the software and it's doing what you want. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Ian

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:43 AM »
Copied from VB and the development of Wizards as it's probably better if we keep it here.

HIYA Stirling, question ,there is a fellow doing probing of an engine intake ports. Can your crawler routine probe the inside of a 3d object such as a port?

HIYA Stirling, question ,there is a fellow doing probing of an engine intake ports. Can your crawler routine probe the inside of a 3d object such as a port?
Hi - It's basically a bed o' nails with the added benefit of only probing inside a prescribed boundary. As you know a standard or dumb bed o nails only probes inside a defined rectangle which can mean it spends an inordinate amount of time probing useless space. All I can sugest is your fellow gives it a whirl. Don't know if you've seen it but there's an Italian company in this thread www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.msg97649.html#msg97649 that has a couple of nice vids on their site and youtube of the routines in action.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian

HUM there is really nothing to probe in the Z axis just a big hole. The area to probe would be in the X/Y directions and step down in z as it goes deeper into the port.

Your crawler routine works great but I don't think it will work in this application unless it could be modified to crawl the perimeter from the inside out then step down.

(;-) There IS a market for a PORT probing routine to do this IF you are interested.

I have seen your routine do the combustion chambers of the head, that IS a perimeter and bed of nails type of probing solution

Thansk

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds good and I WILL do it soon as I get some time. But you could kludge it at the moment by just resetting the Z level on the perimeter routine and re-probing each level. Because the triplet file is appended to, you'd get what you want in the end. Not ideal I accept but...

Cheers

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
That would take a while(;-) as each step is .010" and the port is from 2-3" deep.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
can you do me a rough sketch of the cross section of a port? Also do you use a probe tip that's in some way different to a "conventional" tip? At the moment I don't undertand why coming at the port sideways as it were will give different results from coming at it vertically. A touch is a touch regardless of what direction the probe was travelling previously. I'm sure you're right but I'm just trying to get my head round the problem.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Picture a piece of 2" pipe 3" long  standing straight up sitting on the table.

We start from the top of the pipe and probe to find the center of the pipe then move to the center and probe down .010" then  move over to probe the wall of the pipe all the way around. then move down .010" and do it again. Keep going down until you get to the bottom OR a stop point.

There is NOTHING for the probe to touch going straight down(vertical) UNTIL you get to the bottom and touch the table(;-)

We then take the points and take them into a 3D cam to create a 3d shape file that can be cut.

Hope that helps

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »
Here is a diagram of the port

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2010, 05:09:16 AM »
OK - got it - the crux is that you have overhang or undercut - whichever, which is why I asked if you used a probe with a "special" tip - i.e. one that can *reach* into the undercut without the shaft fouling. I understand your analogy with the pipe but clearly if the sides were *truely* vertical then there'd be no need to probe in multiple Z levels - they'd all be the same  ;)

As I've said I will sort this asap but meanwhile I'll take a look at the routines and see if there's a quick kludge for you as I'm a bit strapped for time at the mo.

Cheers

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »
The Pipe was just an example that I could decribe(;-)

The port is probed with a .375" ball on the end of a long probe shaft or sometimes a flat disk on the long shaft. The tip used depends on the port itself. You have to use a tip smaller than the smallest radius. Using a 4th axis machine sometimes you may have to index the port several times to get all the port scanned. 

THERE is no hurry take your time.

In reality the top end of the port is probed based in the centerline and then the head is indexed over to the other end and it is probed on the centerline as well. Then in the drawing the ends are aligned with the centerline. then the shape is converted to a cut file.

The head to be cut is then put into the fixture and indexed into position to cut.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:56:13 AM by BR549 »

Offline Denis

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
Hello,
I tried your Program on my router, but I can't get it to work:
When I run my created probe25d.tap file, I have an Y move until my probe touch, an X move, and always a mistake msgbox :"type mismatch"
The history file in Mach3 say: Error in line 44 :internal error <G31Fix>.
I can't find what I am doing wrong.
Have anyone an Idea?
Thanks
Denis