Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:51:56 PM

Author Topic: edge finding/2.5D probing  (Read 128720 times)

Re: edge finding/2.5D probing
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
Ian, I'll give the new macro a try over the weekend.  Thanks for the help.

Steve
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »
         Stirling,
              I've managed to load the probing utilities, but Im stuck with not being able to configure for inches. I don't know what values the various configuration tabs are looking for. I'm running a Bridgeport Series I CNC, that has an effective cutting area of 15" Y, 18" X and about 5" Z. The controls are Gecko 203's through a Bob Campbell breakout board. Can you, or another user, give me direction to configure the software. My probe from Arnie Minear, will be here in a few days.

Thanks,
Marv Frankel
Los Angeles 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »
Hi Marv

The routine works with whatever your default units are so just divide my defaults by 25.4 (or thereabouts - 25 would do) to get reasonable settings in inches. For example your startX would then be at 4 inches your startY would be 4 inches your safeZ roughly 1 inch etc. etc. (Oops - just noticed that I've labelled StartY as StartX - the perils of cut n paste - funny - none of the gazillion downloaders have pointed that out - tsk tsk  ;D)

The pertinent bit in the readme is:

Your probe will lift to “Safe Z”, rapid to “StartX”, “StartY” and drop to “probe at Z”.
It will then travel Y+ve (North) at “Feedrate” towards your object to be probed. When it makes contact it will then traverse round initially moving X+ve (East). “2.5D Triplet File” will be populated with the contact points in X, Y and Z. (Obviously Z will be “Probe at Z”)

Hope this helps

Ian

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2009, 04:14:17 AM »
I've made a couple of changes which hopefully will get shot of a few issues that some folks have had and kindly told me about. I've tested against Mach V3.042.020 and it all works fine out of the box for me - hope it does the same for you. Grab the new Probe.zip and Readme.doc from http://www.razordance.co.uk/probe25D.htm. No need to do the install again, just copy M90000.m1s and probe25D.tap over your existing files. In brief the changes and things to note are:

1) Un-check Config/General Config/Ignore M calls while loading. Prevents the "cannot do G1 with zero feed rate on line #6" error.
2) Loop size in probe25D.tap reduced from 999 to 998. Stops the "too many nests" error.
3) M90000.m1s now tests for "isLoading" in sub G31Fix. Stops Mach attempting to generate a toolpath for ever and a day. Mach still attempts to generate the toolpath and actually finishes now after several minutes but just hit cancel - it makes no odds. There's no real toolpath to generate anyway in edge finding. Mach has no prior idea where its going.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT on 23rd July: This info has now been superceded. See later posts. Ian.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:21:06 AM by stirling »

vmax549

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
HIYA IAN, Glad to hear from you(;-).  Question for you I am trying to wrap my head around figuring a way to create a 3d probe grid from a 2d points shape file(points file).

I see you have done this. Is it a secret process or something that can be shared.

I work with probing cylinder head ports and this may be handy to do the port FLOOR at the same time I do the port. Also would be handy to do the combustion chamber. Probing thin air gets old after a while and waste a lot of time.

Thanks (;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
Hi Terry - Thanks - yeah its been a while...

No its not a secret - the routine is freely available. Have you not tried it?

Cheers

Ian

vmax549

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Oh yea I tried it(;-)   What I need to do is be able to take MY points file and use YOUR software to create the 3d probe grid.

I work with probing cylinder ports on engines. I can generate the perimeter shape up and down the port wall just fine buit I needed a way to convert the 2d shapefile into a 3d grid type routine for doing the FLOOR of the port.  Down inside of the port(think of it as a cylinder with variable shaped walls that may be 3-4"tall) there is NO extra room so it is imperitive that I keep the probe INSIDE of the shape of the cylinder.

Clear as mud ?  (;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:36 AM »
An update. There are now new versions of probe25D.tap and M90000.m1s which appear at the moment to get over the problems that some users have experienced. Many thanks to Nelson who has steadfastly stuck with the testing. For those that already have the routines, just download probe.zip from the usual place, unpack and copy the above two files over your originals - no need to re-install the .dll. IMPORTANT: On Mach's main menu, select Config/General Config.. and TICK Ignore M calls while loading - before loading probe25D.tap. Otherwise it won't work. A re-read of the updated readme can't hurt.

Terry, just create a text file of your 2D points and throw it at the 3D routine. Format is X,Y,Z on each line e.g. 24.00000,11.00000,6.29200. Note: Z can be anything you like - it's ignored at the moment but must be there - if you get my drift.

Cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:47:21 AM by stirling »
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:22 AM »
Stirling,
      I'm finally getting to try out the probe I got from Arnie, but I need help. I'm somewhat "CNC challenged", and can't complete the probing routine configuration. Is there somewhere I can find instructions, tab by tab, to complete the configuration?

Marv Frankel
Los Angeles

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
Marv

Have you downloaded the latest version and the readme? http://www.razordance.co.uk/probe25D.htm
If you can tell me your specific problem i.e. how far have you got. I'll try to help.

Cheers

Ian