Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:37:15 PM

Author Topic: edge finding/2.5D probing  (Read 128725 times)

vmax549

Re: edge finding/2.5D probing
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
IAN that is always how projects work. You put it out there and it may seems like decades before anyone responds, but at some point they figure out just how usefull your routine is and you will get flooded with responces.

Keep up the good work.  By the way have you ever programed any hot swap tool changer routines in mach?

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2008, 07:04:17 AM »
Cheers Terry

Can't say I've done anything with toolchangers at all.

Ian
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
I've been looking at your Probing Utility and using it with the SmoothStepper.  It appears to work very very well.  Thank you for your efforts with this.

Just wanted to say thanks, and if I don't manage to crunch my probe first, I'll post some results. :-)  I am using the TP-100.

Once you get the hang of it, this method of probing "within the lines" makes much more sense than the traditional square probing.  I've been desperately seeking a faster method of probing and this may just do the trick.

You are correct how important the Accel settings are, they cannot be underestimated (in the context of Decel anyway).

Would you consider posting it on www.cnc4free.org? I have no affiliation with the site, but it may get more "air time" there.... just a thought.

Rich.
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2009, 05:55:01 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I've installed the software but when I run the Gcode to do the edge finding I get the error:

cannot do G1 with zero feed rate on line #6

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

TIA
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
I'm also stuck.  I re-read every post in this thread, and gone over the readme several times. 

When I load the probe25D.tap, I immediately get an error "Lost the edge.  Carefully jog nearer the edge and press Cycle Start".  The odd thing is that I have not pressed Cycle Start yet.  Mach is in the middle of doing path generation and I have not actually run the script yet.  I cancel the path generation, but still cannot run the script.  It displays the same "Lost edge" dialog every time.

I've tried playing with the values, but different values seem to have no effect.  I can see in the macro source code that this error happens when the G31fix routine returns a status of 2, but I don't know the internals of that routine, or why it's returning the error.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2009, 05:01:38 AM »
pilotjunky - thanks for the feedback - hope you get some good results. I'll take a look at cnc4free. Thanks.

markhammill - Have you successfully installed and run Start Menu / All Programs / Probe Utilities/ ProbeCtrl which apart from other things provides init values for probe25D.tap. The reason for your error is that there appears from what you say to be no values in the Mach vars - you can check this out via the Mach menu Operator / Gcode var monitor.

stevespo - Looks to me like the macros are being run at startup - and they shouldn't be. As you know - when you load a gcode file into Mach, it is processed to calculate the path. Often however it's desirable to NOT have Mach run macros during this phase. A way to achieve this is to set the checkbox in Config / general config / ignore M calls while loading. Another way is to build into the macro the test "isLoading". I've chosen to use the latter with the intention of making things easier for the user which certainly used to work fine. I'm wondering if something's changed in Mach and "isLoading" is maybe not working - but that's just a guess at the moment. Try setting the "ignore M calls" checkbox to see if that helps.

vmax549

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
HIYA Stirling,  YEP There seems to be some strange things with probing in the later versions of MACH (;-(

Just a thought (;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:56:36 AM by vmax549 »
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the pointer!  I will give that a try as soon as I finish today's jobs.  I'm running Mach v3.042.020 - which was downloaded/installed just a few weeks ago, so it should be the latest and greatest.

Steve
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
Well, not running the macros got me a little farther.  When the .tap program loaded, I got an error:

Cannot do G1 with zero level feedrate

I thought that was strange, so I edited the .tap and inserted F#1001 after the G01 instructions.  When I hit cycle start, the probe dropped down to Z=0, rather than .025" - so I realized it wasn't picking up the values from the config program.

I re-ran the config program, checked the registry (all values correct) and hit cycle start again.  Sure enough, the probe moved down to Z=0 and then I got the  "Cannot do g1" error once more.

So, unless I have something misconfigured, there is definitely a problem with the newer version of Mach and the probing macros/routines.

Thanks very much,

Steve

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2009, 05:51:16 AM »
OK - just tried my system which I havn't used for quite a while and I'm getting the same problems. I'm not sure at this stage what's changed but I've made a couple of alterations to M90000.m1s (attached) and it kind of fixes things for the time being. I'll give it an in depth lookover as and when I can.

Now, when you load probe25d.tap for the first time it will (hopefully) not throw any of the errors above but will spend quite some time generating the path. This of course is redundant really because there is no pre-determined path. Does anyone know if it's possible to tell Mach not to generate a path on loading like you can tell it not to run macros?

Anyway - you can just hit cancel on the path generation progress bar dialog and all should be good to go when you actually run it.

Ian

P.S. Contrary to what I said above, because of whatever it is that has changed, for the time being, the macros are probably best left to run at startup, so don't tick "ignore M call while loading" in Mach's Config / General config.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:29:45 AM by stirling »