Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:27:23 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 crashes  (Read 1782 times)

Mach3 crashes
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
I am having the same exact problem with the STB5100 controller in Mach3.  Any time I run a gcode file or manually enter gcode, after execution it causes Mach3 to stop responding and requires me to close the program and re-open again.  Getting terribly frustrating dealing with this as a new CNC hobbyist!

Did anyone find the solution to this issue?? 

I have a genuine W10 license and have tried this on TWO separate laptops with the SAME result.

I have tried a different USB cable. Same Result.

I have completely removed the STB5100 from the system and connected to the laptop WITHOUT AC POWER (completely electrically isolated) with the same result. (tried this on both laptops).

Running the LATEST version of Mach3.

W10 is fully updated, no USB errors.  POWER MANAGEMENT HAS BEEN DISABLED (no sleep on USB).  ANTIVIRUS has been disabled.

I understand that this chinese control board is "on the cheap" and there are a lot better (and more expensive) solutions out there but if this is an STB driver issue, as a programmer myself I Would expect that the Mach3 software would have error control written in to avoid having the program just dive 6feet under....... but perhaps my programming ethic differs..  *shrug* 

For a first time CNC build this is a real let-down. :-( 

Re: Mach3 crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »
Hi,
is Mach3 licensed? In Demo mode it will execute 500 lines of Gcode only.

If Mach3 is correctlty licensed and Mach has correctly identified a non-corrupt license file your name will ocurr
at the very top of the screen.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Craig,
Yes, it is licensed.  I have run programs larger than 500 lines and also single line commands in the MDI.  It runs just fine... until the end of the gcode.. THEN Mach3 freezes...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »
Hi,
then I would guess it is an effective 'Run out of Data Error'.

If he USB data queue ever empties then the motion controller stops, and in most cases requires a power cycle
to reset. Your description sounds like there are no USB errors but a is it running out of data?

Craig
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
Definitely not the issue.

Example: GO TO MDI
Type in "G0 X1"

X axis moves to 1mm and then Mach3 stops responding.

I only send ONE command, it does it, and then MACH takes a dump.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »
Here, this video shows exactly what it is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1edQ1Dlao
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
Hi,
I would guess that when a move is completed and the trajectory planner is supposed to send nil-movement data
frames but it is not, and therefore the motion buffer drains, ie runs out of data.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »
Ok, does this theory of yours have a solution or are you just enjoying trolling the post? LOL

Helpful answers rather than theories are best suited for forums like this.

Thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 01:18:43 AM »
Hi AshPowers,

I have sent you a PM.

Tweakie.
PEACE