Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:17:16 AM

Author Topic: CANNED G77/G78 LATHE CYCLE HELP??  (Read 16310 times)

CANNED G77/G78 LATHE CYCLE HELP??
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:46:36 PM »
Does anyone have any info on using the canned cycle G77/G78 in MACH3TURN? There is no real info in the MACH DOCS and I am specifically seeking info on what parameter inputs are supported by these macro's. I have tried reading the macro files themselves but I am no programmer and cannot for sure decide what it all means

Appreciate any comments

Gerald
Re: CANNED G77/G78 LATHE CYCLE HELP??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »
It has been years since the last time I looked at that code :( It would take me about an hour to get you the info for the "stock" can cycles... I would just play with it and see how it works at this point... I will see if I can find the time to look at the macro.

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:22 AM »
After looking at the macro I can see that I put in the data to show you how to use the Macro's
' G77   
'(Xx.*********x XDia NEEDED)
'(Zx.*********x End Z NEEDED)
'(Fx.*********x Feedrate)
'(can be Set In the settings page: 'Hx.*********x Depth of cut)
'(Cx.*********x Clearance In the X)
'(Qx.*********x Clearance In the Z)
'(Kx.*********x ZStartpoint)
'(Rx.*********x XStartpoint)
'(Tx.*********x Taper In Deg)   

'G78
'(Xx.*********x XDia NEEDED)
'(Zx.*********x End Z NEEDED)
'(Fx.*********x Feedrate)
'(can be Set In the settings page: 'Hx.*********x Depth of cut)
'(Cx.*********x Clearance In the X)
'(Qx.*********x Clearance In the Z)
'(Kx.*********x ZStartpoint)
'(Rx.*********x XStartpoint)
'(Tx.*********x Taper In Deg)

Hope that helps
Brian

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
Thanks Brian,

I had found this info looking in the macro but after much playing with the macro g77 I just can't get it to do what I think it should do using the parameters as labelled

for example I would expect the following code to turn an outside diameter:  2" in length to .5" in diameter starting with .75" stock and do that in .010 cuts allowing .1 clearance in X and .050 clearance in Z on the retracts with Z 0.0 at the end of the stock away from the chuck and the controller in diamter mode:

G77 X0.5 Z-2.0 F0.5 H0.01 C0.1 Q0.05 K0.0 R0.75 T0.0

It just doesn't do that so I guess  I either am either blind or stupid or the macro doesn't work because I have tried all different combinations of settings to achieve this but just can't make it happen as I feel it should  and that is is turn the diameter towards the chuck from a diameter of .75 down to .5 for a length of 2 inches (ie z=0.0 to -2.0).

Oh well I will keep pluggin I guess or try to find a book on VB to write my own macros to acheive something more like a g71/g70 in FANUC for turning profiles. Can you point me in the right direction as far as writing macro's goes? Am I looking for standard Visual Basic programming info?

Thanks

Gerald
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
Anyone got G77 or M1077 to work? Is it something that only works in a full version of Mach?
It would seem that the most common thing you'll want to do is to reduce the diameter of your stock- without having to write multiple lines of G01!
G78 seems to work ok.

Note... not a complaint, Mach3 is great! I just want to be sure that I should persevere with G77!

Thanks
Andy
Andy

Development Engineer
Amtech Electronics Ltd

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »
I know Brian is going to be doing a lot of work on Turn shortly so all of the things that are not quite right in Turn will be getting looked at.
 In the mean time you could use one of the wizards to do your basic turning, facing and boring.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »
I've looked at M1077, and found that theres a problem (in my case anyway) with tapers of 0 (ie, reduce the diameter of stock). I've 'fixed' the code and that now works. Tapers seem to work (haven't checked the angle calcs) but the Tx.x parameter is being interpreted as a toolchange instruction...?!

In ports and pins/turn options you can set cut depths etc so in its' most basic form you'll just do a touch-cut on your stock, set the part-zero, then G77 Xx.x Zx.x  where X and Z are the final diameter and length of cut. The macro figures out how many passes to make based on your turn settings.

Here's the modified macro if it's of any use.  Take out the 'andy' in the filename. As always, remember to take a copy of your original M1077 first!
Andy

Development Engineer
Amtech Electronics Ltd

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
(;-)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:51:59 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
WOW! looks like a old post.  Only have one question why is the G77 asking for a tool change?
I too added the M1077_andy.m1s with better luck. thank you Andy. The wizard adds too many lines of code!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
just for resurection sake.... I recently rebuilt my machine and found m0177 wasn't working. Did an online search to find out why, and found this 10 year old post that I'd forgotten about! Thanks to my younger self for fixing my problem!
Andy

Development Engineer
Amtech Electronics Ltd