Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:11:03 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 feature vs Mach3  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 feature vs Mach3
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 04:43:53 AM »
There is no doubt that Mach4 is indeed an excellent product but it is only as good as it’s Motion Controller will allow it to be and choosing the right Motion Controller can be difficult with pitfalls for us all.
The manufacturers of some Controllers are extremely active at keeping up with new developments in Mach4 whereas other manufacturers are extremely slow and there is no definitive list of the good and the bad to help us choose.

I use a CO2 laser and there are a number of things which I can do using Mach3 that I still cannot do using Mach4 (despite waiting some 6 years). This is certainly not the fault of Mach4 (which is more than capable) the issue lies with the Motion Controller. One day, I am sure the problems will be solved but how long do I wait ?

There is a lot to be said for having the software development of the Motion Planner and the software development of the Motion Controller under the same roof. Perhaps something Artsoft / NFS may consider in the future.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »
Steve

A quick question when are we going to get an upto date version ok mach4 4300 is a bit long in the tooth now dev ver is ( well you know what it is)

Any clues as to when

Stuart

Industrial lic holder

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »
Stuart,

This covid crap has most of us working from home and therefore the testing that goes on before a GA release just hasn't been possible.  But 4517 seems to be doing well.  There are a few new features that are not finished in it (Timer control, multi-touch support, etc...).  But it is stable otherwise.  Try it out.

But as to when will there be a new release, I just can't say.  When will there again be normalcy?  No one knows at this point.  :( 

Steve

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »
Steve
Thanks for your reply

I have run 517 and ESS 260 all is fine with the screen set provided

Thanks for you and your team during this strange time we are in,

My wife and myself are 73 so as per the UK rules/guides we have to only go out for essential needs but we are both ok

Look after yourself and your family and be safe

Stuart