Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:59:56 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 G-Code File Extension?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Mach 4 G-Code File Extension?
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I am not sure why I cannot find this in the documentation quickly, but what is the standard or recommended file extension for Mach 4 G-Code?

I found one document (not by Artsoft) that said .tap, but I want to make sure it should not be .nc or something else?

I am trying to fill all the paperwork out for BobCAD V32 to make a proper post for Mach4 instead of just giving you a Mach3 post. I would have thought they already would have this by now. Apparently I am the first person or something...

I am not sure I am going to be able to answer all the questions because I don't even know how to do it all yet. I got my machine all done and running Mach4 properly, but I have not used it to make anything or program anything yet due to lack of time.

Thanks

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 G-Code File Extension?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
Open the configuration dialog.  Then set the extensions you want to use.  The "tap" extension is popular.  It is short for "tape", as old NC machine ran from a paper tape program.  Then a couple of other popular extensions are "nc" and "cnc".  But you do you.  :) 

Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
You can configure Mach4 to look for any file extension you desire, but the default install of Mach4 will show files with .nc and .tap extensions when using the File Open function.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 09:33:39 AM »
Some post processors also just output "txt" files and Mach4 will read them fine.