Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:12:50 AM

Author Topic: spindle indexer  (Read 3311 times)

spindle indexer
« on: September 21, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
well I went to wire up the reflective object sensor for my lathe spindle and realized... well. I have no idea how to wire this badboy up. any one got a wiring schematic for how to connect this thing to a breakout board. say bob campbells break out board with 12v power for the inputs.
the sensor Im using is the Fairchild model QRB1133 reflective object sensor.
also how far away from the refective tape should I mount this thing.
here is the link for the sensor
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/QR/QRB1133.pdf

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: spindle indexer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Hi, Bathgate

The Diag you mentioned in a previous post (see below) should work fine, The reflective media should be 0.150 thou. away and the length of about 3/4 to 1" to give Mach time to see the puls.

I'm Using a 5" disk hear with a optical window pickup with a slot length of 3/4", Works up to 3,000+ rpm, Longer slot higher rpm.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »
yeah I knew I had it somewhere.
I hooked it up and I couldnt get it to work.
I am using bob Campbells breakout board. It only has a 12 volt supply for inputs. omy question is. will it work with a 12 volt supply. and two is the diagram gonna be different. I remember having to make up an interesting circuit when i hooked up my optical limit switches and they are essentially the same kind of sensor. I remember needing some diodes in there. Anyhow I tried hooking it up with an external 5v power supply but Im not sure whether to use the ground from the power supply or the board as it is opticaly Isolated and obviously something has to ground out the signal pin. and well Im not very good with this kind of circuitry. lets just say I think I know how it works instead of actually knowing. any help guys.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:40:15 PM by guynamedbathgate »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
Hi, Bathgate

Hook it up to your boards 12 volt supply with a LM series 5 volt regulator (Radio-Shack has them) 12v in, Gnd and 5volts out, TO-220 case.

This will retain your opto isolation.

PM your phone # if in USA, If you need more assistance.

Thanks, Chip