Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:16:58 AM

Author Topic: Configuring Mach4 with Hitachi WJ200 without Modbus  (Read 3656 times)

Re: Configuring Mach4 with Hitachi WJ200 without Modbus
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »
I think I found it!!! The C081 parameter scales the input voltage seen by the VFD. But the A011 - A015 parameters have an effect also. If someone has already figured this out please share. With all the parameters on this VFD I am hoping to be able to control spindle speed down to the rpm

thanks
bill a.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 01:09:38 AM »
Hi,

If someone has already figured this out please share. With all the parameters on this VFD I am hoping to be able to control spindle speed down to the rpm

I think your enthusiasm is running away with you, you will never successfully control the speed of a VFD driven spindle using
analogue control to greater accuracy than a few percent.

In the first instance you are powering an induction motor which, by definition, must have some slip. Therefore the commanded frequency
IS NOT THE ACTUAL RPM but about 3% higher than spindle rpm depending on load.

The second issue is why bother? Its nice to have control of spindle speed but within 5-10% is adequate. For years we've used
manual mills and lathes WITHOUT being able to close control the spindle speed and the parts still came out fine, if 3000rpm works
in the old manual mill, despite the optimum being 4000rpm, then my CNC will work at 3000rpm as well.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
As right as Craig is about getting the RPM down to THE RPM, yours is nearly 4x. Should be able to get somewhat better than that!! I wouldn't chase parameters in the VFD, I'd chase PWM frequency in your setup or something. Perhaps Mach4 Pulley setup, or whatever it's called now. If you put a volt meter on the output and you're getting anywhere NEAR 0 to 10 volts, the VFD with default parameters, should be way closer than 4x.

Actually, with a 4x discrepancy, I'd be looking at the VFD's motor plate and pole parameters, parameters B012 and H004. Other than that, you lost me;

The problem with chasing VFD parameters is you BETTER remember, write down, everything you changed so that when you figure out the Mach4 setup and your electronic equipment setup/wiring, you can get the VFD back to where it was!!! Just my experience. When the VFD comes out of the box, other than matching your motor pole/nameplate settings and frequency of your electricity (60hz and default in the US), then setting your control input, it should just work.

--
Tom
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
Thanks, I did get to around 10% I was just getting anal with all those various parameters having an effect.

bill a
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
Hi,
given that you have a UC100 as motion controller you have little flexibility because the IO is so scarce.

I will point out that if you used an ESS you would, if you employed all three ports have 51 input and outputs, quite a step up from 17 inputs and outputs in the UC100. In addition the ESS now offers PID spindle control so spindle speed within 1% is eminently feasible.

Craig
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
I have a USB smooth stepper that never worked for threading and crashed on a regular basis. I bought it over 10 years ago and although I kept looking for updates or fixes they never appeared. When they came out with the ESS I did not hurry out to buy one. In fact it surprises me that they are still in business. I am using a PMDX411 one of the first to support Mach4, still works, crashes from time to time but no where near the frequency of the Warp9 product. Just sayin'
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
The Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) works reliably and is well supported. Just sayin'     :)
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
Hi,
to my knowledge BOTH the PMDX-411 and the ESS are good.

The reason that I suggested the ESS is because of the much expanded IO. The PID spindle control is
just the icing on the cake.

Craig
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably review all the forums before upgrading my other ShopTask.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
Hi,
at the current time there are six credible, and one not-credible (as opposed to incredible :D) manufacturers of
Mach4 ready motion controllers.

PMDX, you are aware of, you might like to consider the PMDX-424, it has two ports developed and thus has double the IO
of the PMDX-412. PMDX do have threading but not realtime THC.

The UC series of controllers by CNCDrive, are good quality and stable however they have the least realtime supports and
misses on threading and realtime THC.

PoKeys 57CNC is good qualitiy and has a fairly complete set of realtime supports EXCLUDING realtime THC. The 57CNCdb25
is very very similar to what you have already, ie only one port.

The Hicon Integra by VitalSystems is good quality and has a full suite of realtime supports, some of which occur an extra
licence fee. In addition it can be activated (at additional cost) to handle closed loop analogue servos. Starts at $600USD
WITHOUT extra activations.

The ESS by Warp9 enjoys probably the most complete suite of realtime supports including threading, realtime THC and laser
vectoring/rastering. It is not a feedbback controller like the Hicon. Retails at $180, and requires a BoB or BoBs.
The previous model USS does not have a Mach4 plugin and is all but obsolete.

CSMIO/P and CSMIO/A are good quality but have a buggy Mach4 plugin, and contrary to their history have gone right
off the boil with their support. As they start at 600Euro I find it hard to recommemnd them despite their quality and undoubted
performance with Mach3. Their performance with Mach4 is just too patchy.

XHC is the only Chinese manufacturer claiming a Mach4 plugin but its so buggy I don't think anyone uses it. Avoid like the plague.

Craig
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:21:02 PM by joeaverage »