Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:00:32 PM

Author Topic: Configuring Mach4 with Hitachi WJ200 without Modbus  (Read 3659 times)

Configuring Mach4 with Hitachi WJ200 without Modbus
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:07:21 PM »
I have a problem with a Gecko 540 and a WJ200-022SF. After going through the manual I determined that the WJ200 doesn't recognize PWM input to control it. It does however recognize pulse train inputs. "The WJ200 inverter is capable of accepting pulse train input signals, that are used for frequency command, process variable (feedback) for PID control, and simple positioning.
The dedicated terminal is called “EA” and “EB”. Terminal “EA” is a dedicated terminal." pg40 WJ200 quick ref. manual.
I have not been able to figure out what the signal has to look like or how to configure Mach4 how to deliver it through a pmdx411 and a gecko 540. If anyone has done this or knows how I would really appreciate if you would share what you did.

thanks
bill a.
Re: Configuring Mach4 with Hitachi WJ200 without Modbus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:43:48 AM »
Hi,
Hitachi inverters a good quality and much respected....and they can't be controlled by an analogue input....twaddle!
Hitachi probably invented it!!

See attached from the manual. The first is the choice of frequency source. The second (page 4-5)shows quite clearly the possibility of
controlling the frequency (of the VFD output) by using a potentiometer OR a 1-10V analogue input OR a 4-20mA current input, and
as you point out pulse inputs, whatever they are. ALL of these input modes are virtually industry standard, and Hitachi is one of the
standards of the industry.....of course it has analogue input.

The PMDX-411 has only one port as does the Gecko540, you simply don't have enough IO to start buggering around with pulse inputs.
The PMDX and the Gecko support analogue output in the form of a 0-10V output derived from PWM. Don't try and re-invent the wheel,
use what PMDX, Gecko and Hitachi have provided.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
I SUPPOSE you could say it's not controlled via PWM! It's controlled by 0-10v which is, in turn, controlled by PWM!! I actually own that inverter and it works just great with PWM/0-10v controlling it.
--
Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
I SUPPOSE you could say it's not controlled via PWM! It's controlled by 0-10v which is, in turn, controlled by PWM!! I actually own that inverter and it works just great with PWM/0-10v controlling it.
Would you explain how you have the WJ200 configured and how you have configured Mach4.
Thanks
bill a.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »
Would you explain how you have the WJ200 configured and how you have configured Mach4.
Thanks
bill a.

Wow, where to start? Page 41 of the WJ200 manual shows how to wire 0-10v, so there's that. But you need to specify things like motor poles, accel/decel values, base frequency (60HZ?), max frequency you want to use. Only you will know these values. So, briefly, WJ200 manual page 81 for motor poles, page 51 for input source and frequency you desire.

As for setting up Mach4, Jeff Birt had a nice write up for a G540 and Mach3, don't know if there's something around like that for Mach4. Google is your friend here. Here's Jeff's Mach3 write up.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwjv35SrhaToAhVH2qwKHRJmAvQQFjADegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.soigeneris.com%2FDocument%2FGecko%2FUsing_the%2520Gecko_G540_VFD_Output.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2K_aYtD6ctlpFYAj2BLKON

From that you should be able to figure out pins to use and basic setup, which will apply to Mach4, sort of!! The Warp9TD web site has wonderful Mach4 setup info for their SmoothStepper, much of which would apply to YOUR setup regarding PWM setup, so lots to learn there.

Frankly, if you know nothing about VFD's, you have to start a bit more basic, learn how to wire it, learn how to use it to control your motor from the VFD control panel first, maybe. Then, once it's setup and your motor is wired correctly and working from the control panel (the VFD basically COMES setup for this, but you will minimally need to specify your motor poles, base frequency, max frequency), then venture off into externally controlling it.

If you know nothing about this and don't want to dig in, then you might need to get someone local to you to come and set it up for you. These things are complicated to figure out and the manuals are written such that the info is THERE, but you have to figure out how to apply it all. You only need 5% of the stuff in the manual, but figuring out where that 5% IS is the problem.

All that said, you bought likely the BEST, most versitile, VFD you can buy. Open the PDF manual, from the CD or the web, and print out the entire parameter section along with the HOW TO PROGRAM section, and study it, with highlighter in hand, until you understand it. I don't think it'd be TOO hard to blow up your motor or maybe even the VFD by NOT understanding before you get your screwdriver out.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:17:59 AM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »
I know how to configure a VFD, I have the WJ200 manual. My motors are running fine manually with the external control panel. I have wired the Gecko 540 and can turn the VFD off and on, Forward and Reverse through Mach4. I can't control the speed using the the 10v reference pin H and logic gnd L to the G540 and pin 14 on the Gecko back to pin EA on the VFD. I have set the PMDX411 to PWM and pin 14. I have set A001 to 06. If you can tell me how you have set your VFD to use PWM/0-10v to control the speed through Mach4 I would appreciate it as I can't seem to make it work.
Thanks
Bill A.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
Hi,
try wiring the return to pin O of the VFD. Pin O IS the analogue input pin, it shows it clearly, 0-10V, on the pic I posted
which came from the manual.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Hi,
see attached pic from the Gecko 540 manual.

It clearly shows three connections to the VFD.
Pin 7 Main Terminal Block of  the 540 to pin L of the WJ200
Pin 8 Main Terminal Block of  the 540 to pin O of the WJ200
Pin 9 Main Terminal Block of  the 540 to pin H of the WJ200

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the so called 'PWM' output of the G540 is a digital pulse train....it's not....internal to the
G540 there is a PWM to analogue output circuit. If you hook the 10VDC supply to the PWM output circuit (pin H to pin 9) and its return (pin L to pin 7)
and probe with a mulitmeter between pin 8  and pin 7 of the G540 you should see a 0-10V DC voltage that varies with the commanded speed in Mach.
That varying DC voltage is  an OUTPUT ( pin 8 ) of the G540 and is connected to the voltage INPUT (pin O) of the WJ200.

Craig
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:31:06 PM by joeaverage »

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 06:07:52 PM »
No, no, set VFD parameter A001 to 01...Control Terminal, NOT 06...Pulse Train Input. Set A002 to 01...Control Terminal

Page 41 of the manual shows how to wire, but you must have that, and Craig showed it again, a couple times!!

Tom
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:13:40 PM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
Many thanks to those who replied. I have it running the spindle now both fwd & rev from mach4. I still haven't got the speed calibrated but I know Mach4 is sending a control voltage to the vfd. I proved this by setting the pin 14 output to low and had the vfd run away. When I reset it to high and sent a M3 S400 from the MDI it took off and went to 1354 rpm. I was able to reduce the rpm with the spindle override, dropping it all the way down to 908 rpm at 50%. I am hoping that you might have some additional parameters to set in the VFD to calibrate the voltage fed from the gecko to the rpm output of the VFD.

thanks
bill a