Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:14:11 AM

Author Topic: Anyone have older revision firmware for DMC40x0 controllers?  (Read 2902 times)

Anyone have older revision firmware for DMC40x0 controllers?
« on: January 10, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »
I bought a DMC-4040 controller off ebay.  I want to upgrade the firmware, but upgrading to the latest version has to be done by Galil, and they won't do it for us.  Does anyone have a prior version of the firmware for the DMC-40x0 they could send me?  Preferably the version immediately before 1.3?

Thanks.
Re: Anyone have older revision firmware for DMC40x0 controllers?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:30:06 PM »
Hi,

has to be done by Galil, and they won't do it for us.

Why?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »
There are different flavors of firmware for the controllers and the firmware that was custom and didn't match our needs.  Although the announcement for that version of firmware said it needed to be sent in to Galil, we decided to give it a shot anyways, and it seems to have worked, so either the announcement was incorrect or our controller was quite new or...  In any event, it looks like it might work. 
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:20 PM »
Why?

Galil won’t provide service or support for second hand units.  I recently made the mistake of trying the 1.3 update on my DMC-4143 because I was having issues with the latest Mach4 Galil plugin.  Now I’m stuck with a firmware error that I can’t fix.  I’ve tried reverting to 1.2f, but can’t get it to work.  I was hoping I could pay for Galil to fix the firmware issue, but Galil’s response was sorry, buy a new unit. 

If anyone knows the steps for pushing a hex firmware file to a Galil DMC-4143, I’m all ears.  I’ve flashed chips with an arduino (with a little handholding), but there is almost no information about Galil boards outside Galil’s own website.  The manual says to use the Galil tools suite to flash the firmware if there is an error and contact Galil if that doesn’t work.  Whelp, tried those.  Didn’t work.  UPGD jumper you say?  Tried that too.  Unless theres a special boot upload reset cycle for the upgrade, that didn’t work either.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:17:59 PM »
ever get this ironed out?

i went through this a while back and once i got through it it was rather simple.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:41:14 AM »
Galil has 1.2f firmware on their site.  I just used it. 

Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »
ever get this ironed out?

i went through this a while back and once i got through it it was rather simple.

No, I never got it working.  I might not have dropped my DMC-4143 in the trash if you had spoken up 30 days earlier.  Oh well.  :)  I replaced it with the Hicon Integra 7866 from Vital Systems and I should have done it sooner.  When I was first deciding which motor controller to get I went with the Galil because Mach offered the paid plugin.  My original thought was that it would be the better supported option because you were paying for the plugin.  I was mistaken.  Mach is more interested in Mach, than in supporting your Galil, and Galil cares so little about Mach that they won't bother making a plugin.  (It's telling that Galil's "support" contact is their head of sales.)  Vital Systems, as well as the other motion control manufacturers who make their own plugins have a vested interest in making sure their controllers work with Mach.  It would have been nice if that revelation had occurred prior to my buying the Galil.         
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
for anyone with this issue in future.

any time a dmc 40 or 41 series refuses all attempts to do a firmware upgrade or more so return to an older firmware than what is installed into it

unplug the ethernet cable and use a standard serial cable. get comms up that way and then flash the firmware into it as listed in the user manual.

i had one that would absolutely not allow older firmware to go into it. i set it aside for a day or two and recalled when working at nestle, some units just seem to never allow you to go backwards in firmware on ethernet but on serial it always worked.

for me i spent countless hours, with zero luck.

i had one issue with the galil plugin that would just cease to allow a MDI input at times.

knowing the M3 plugin for galil is what it is, i called galil to ask them if they had insight. they advised me to install X firmware. the latest greatest.

that firmware went right in, but i had so many issues with mach3 it was unuseable.

trying to revert back i want to believe galil has a safety feature where going backwards in ethernet is not allowed. it just times out.

i verify what i think i learned i risked locking up a spare unit, installing newer firmware then trying to revert back.
each time it timed out on ethernet. but in serial mode it was a matter of seconds and worked perfectly. now i do any and all firmware on serial

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 05:08:50 PM »
I had tried a USB cable, in addition to an ethernet cable, but I did not try the DB9 serial connection.  I am certain your advice will help someone in the future, so you might consider providing some extra details about flashing the firmware through a serial connection for the sake of posterity.  (E.g., did you use the UPGD jumper, did it work through the latest version of the Galil Suite, etc.,.)