Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:36:59 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 lathe x zeroing on a part?  (Read 1358 times)

Mach4 lathe x zeroing on a part?
« on: November 30, 2019, 05:24:33 AM »
Hi

We just build a lathe and are using mach4 for the control software.
 but we cant find a way to zero X on the part after homing x and z.

Is there a guide for this in mach4 lathe. or can somebody explain the procedure for mach4 lathe?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:28:06 AM by Benzon »
Re: Mach4 lathe x zeroing on a part?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »
In lathe usage it is more typical to take a skim cut of the stock and then measure the diameter and set the current X position to reflect the actual cut. The eliminates the difficult process of finding the centerline and also takes into account tool deflection while cutting.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
In lathe usage it is more typical to take a skim cut of the stock and then measure the diameter and set the current X position to reflect the actual cut. The eliminates the difficult process of finding the centerline and also takes into account tool deflection while cutting.

Hi thats the problem - where in mach4 lathe do we set the current X position or "zero" x after the skim cut?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »
Start by having a tool selected. You can execute a T1 command by selecting the MDI screen, enter the T1 command into the MDI screen, then click on Cycle Start to run it. The machine must be enabled for MDI commands to run, even though the T1 command does not cause motion.

Then in the bottom right corner of the lathe screen there is a box for "Tool Information". In this box, click on the numeric DRO above "Set X Offset" and enter the desired value. Then click on the button below the DRO to apply the offset to that tool. This will update the main DRO to reflect the position of the tool tip after offset, but does not move the tool. The updated offset values are saved and will be reloaded each time you start Mach4. Likewise executing other T# commands will update the main DRO position to reflect the position of the newly selected tool using the saved offsets. The tool offset DROs are data entry holding boxes and do not update when tools are changed.

If you do not like the process, don't blame me. I am just the messenger.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
Hi thank :-) we will look into that - thanks for your time :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
I have done that, but I haven't had much luck in establishing X0. Does it require me to pretend to have a turret and set up tool four? The Newfangled Lathe Turret Standard suggests that Mach4 is assuming a turret. Also I am assuming that for the purposes of using lathe wizards that I am in diameter mode. On my machine which is a converted manual machine my skim cuts result in negative X values, which the Mach4Hobby lathe wizards balk at. Any suggestions?

thanks
bill a.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 05:21:08 AM »
For what it's worth, I have fitted an X home switch to my Myford conversion.  This is a contact that is closed as the X feeds inwards close to the maximum infeed before the drive bottoms.  I activate a macro at each startup that homes the X axis and sets the machine coordinate to zero.

I also have a tool setter that detects contact between the tool tip and a reference diameter which can be mounted in the spindle taper.  All my tools are in Dickson type QC holders and the block is bolted down firmly to the cross-slide, with no topslide, so I can mount each tool repeatably.  So to set the tool offsets there's another macro that drives the tool slowly until it touches the setter reference diameter, takes the average of 3 readings of the X machine coordinate, derives the tool offset and stores it.  This using Mach 3 anyway.  The offset setting macro is based on stuff I found on here.