Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Linux support  (Read 671 times)

Linux support
« on: March 22, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »
Was reading through some Mach4 documentation and saw a reference to Linux. Any idea if or when we might see a Linux version?

thanks
bill a.
Re: Linux support
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
Hi,
Smurph has indicated a desire to release a Linux version of Mach4. He does however, when he last indicated his intention,
that such a version would be aimed at OEMs and would not therefore be encouraged in the Hobby community.
Also he indicated that he was not interested in trying to support all or even a small number of Linux distros.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
I was just hoping that with the expiration of support of Win 7 and the various problems of the newer versions of Windows that there would be more interest in Linux. I would imagine that supporting Mach4 with Windows being the platform on which it runs, will eventually cause to program to get so quirky no one will be able to use it. Just a thought
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
Hi,
Mach4 runs perfectly on Windows 10, there is absolutely no need to run Linux unless that is your preference.

Mach3 is a much older program and can be troublesome with later Windows OS's. Indeed it may prove that increasing
OS incompatibility will render Mach3 obsolete in the end.

No such worries with Mach4.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'