Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:00:52 AM

Author Topic: Anyone running a pokeys 57E (ethernet) and an Ethernet Smoothstepper (ESS)?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I have to upgrade my pokeys 55 that is used for physical buttons, switches, & Pendant to go to Mach4.

I am wondering about going with the Ethernet version(57e) instead of the USB version (57u)?

Anyone done this? Any details?

Since there is only one ethernet port on the computer I am wondering the best way to go on adding a second one. I am also wanting to make sure there would be no issues with the ESS.

From my understanding the ethernet pokeys may be a bit more reliable than USB?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
I use this combination in Mach4 successfully, ESS runs the machine, the PoKeys does my physical buttons and pots (SRO/FRO). I, too, replaced a PoKeys 55 that was on Mach3 when I upgraded to Mach4. I have the PoKeys57e simply connected to an Ethernet switch on my home network, it doesn't require a dedicated NIC like the ESS prefers. I have two Ethernet ports in my PC, one for the ESS and one for the network/internet (GASP!) This combo has been running flawlessly on Mach 4 for a couple years since I sucked it up and switched to Mach4. If you're switching from Mach3 to Mach4, get ready for your machine running much better, but also be prepared for a bit of learning/unlearning!! Mach4 isn't an upgrade to Mach3, it's a total different thing.

If you've written code in Mach3 for your buttons, you'll have to learn a bit of LUA to do it in Mach4, but that said, the PoKeys plugin has many of the buttons you may be using in a tab in the plugin. I haven't tried those because I wrote the code before that tab was in the PoKeys plugin and I haven't taken the time to go back and redo it.

Good Luck, it'll be worth any trouble and DO get the Ethernet PoKeys!

Tom
--
Tom

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Thanks for that information!

My computer in my CNC machine is using Wi-fi for internet/network access.
I am using the ethernet port on the back of the motherboard for the ESS.
What do you think is the best way to get my second ethernet port in this scenario?

I want to keep my machine stand alone and not requiring any access to anything to run. It does have internet access and I can access my server etc via the wi-fi, but it will work anywhere without access to anything else.

I will have to solder connectors onto the pokeys57 in my scenario because it is plugged into the Machmotion control panel. That shouldn't be a big deal, but it would be kind of nice to have it seperate if I want to add things to it at some point. I may just get the one with screw terminals and jumper it over so I have better access for upgrades....not sure yet.
I think I will have to supply power to the ethernet version also. I believe this one pulls it from the USB connection.

I have some work ahead of me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:20:19 AM by jevs »

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
If you have an extra PCIE slot, or something, in the PC, just add a NIC, I'd use Intel but that's just me. Or a USB Ethernet adapter?

You will have to power the PoKeys57e with 5 volts, very easy to come by with a PC close by, you can even get it from a USB port. You could use the same USB cable that's going to the PoKeys55, just cut the end off and find the two power (5v) wires. Or a simple 5v power supply powered from your 110 mains somewhere in the box. I like Meanwell power supplies, but Chinese rips are probably $8.
--
Tom

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I notice the Pokeys 57E does not offer keyboard or joystick emulation, but the USB version does.

Is this of any concern?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
It wasn't to me, but it may be to you.
--
Tom

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I went ahead and ordered the 57e and a PCI-E network card.