Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:24:09 AM

Author Topic: MPG Hand-Wheel-Controller Best Recommendation for Hicon Integra  (Read 9808 times)

Re: MPG Hand-Wheel-Controller Best Recommendation for Hicon Integra
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 04:20:16 AM »
Hi,

But here's a question ….
If you plug the Vital Systems Hand-Wheel into the Hicon Integra Controller, don't you then have to configure all the pin inputs in Mach4?

No, that is not my understanding. The Vital Systems pendant interfaces with the Hicon directly. You may have to configure the Hicon
somewhat but the MPG sends signals to the Hicon which enacts the movements commanded. Those movements are signaled back
to Mach so that the DROs remain in synch but the movement occurred without Machs intervention.

The operating principle is somewhat different with the P1A (or Xbox or ShuttlePro). The P1A signals Mach using a Modbus protocol
and then Mach signals the motion controller to make the moves.

I am not aware of any compelling reason to favor one over the other.

One difference between the two solutions is that the manual MPG has at most 15 wires to communicate to the Hicon. That will
limit the number of features that a manual MPG can offer WITHOUT going to a bigger (more wires) cable.

A USB connected pendant can string together long streams of data and so offer more features. In addition the pendant can receive
data as well, hence the LCD screen.

The manual MPG is simple and robust. Further I think TPS is correct, the MPG you have is a clone of the Vital Systems unit and
if you are prepared to learn how to connect it to your Hicon you may not have to spend anything.

The VistaCNC solutions work but are very much more complicated and the probability of incompatibility goes up......having said
that I've been using mine for three years without major drama.

Unless you are under time pressure I would follow TPS's advice an try to get your existing pendant working. It will almost
certainly teach you about your controller and very probably work quite satisfactorily, it is after all pretty simple.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 04:32:56 AM »
Code: [Select]
- Vital Systems Hicon Integra MPG06ED at around $400/$450 (I remember the postage and duty for my controller was very high for whatever reason)

IMHO your pedant is a clone of the MPG06ED

But here's a question ….
If you plug the Vital Systems Hand-Wheel into the Hicon Integra Controller, don't you then have to configure all the pin inputs in Mach4?

the configuration i posted in REPLY#7 is from Vital System Manual and recomended for MPG06ED and should also work for your pedant.

Hi TPS

Absolutely unbelievable.
I can not tell you how much I appreciate your response.
It is so kind of you to take the trouble to study the diagram and make notes on it for me.
I did not expect anyone to be so helpful. Needless to say ... I really appreciate your response.
I am a newcommer to this forum, and people have been so helpful and kind.

Okay TPS - yes, it does appear to be the same controller (except that mine has only 4 axes - XYZ and 4 the Vital systems has 6). This was the reason that I bought it in the first place [it was a lot cheaper - it cost about $60]

I have wired it up as per your instructions. And I m in the process of configuring Mach4.

I will reply shortly to let you know if it has worked.

Thank You

Anthony
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 04:34:35 AM »
- Vital Systems Hicon Integra MPG06ED at around $400/$450 (I remember the postage and duty for my controller was very high for whatever reason)

IMHO your pedant is a clone of the MPG06ED

But here's a question ….

the configuration i posted in REPLY#7 is from Vital System Manual and recomended for MPG06ED and should also work for your pedant.

Hi TPS

Absolutely unbelievable.
I can not tell you how much I appreciate your response.
It is so kind of you to take the trouble to study the diagram and make notes on it for me.
I did not expect anyone to be so helpful. Needless to say ... I really appreciate your response.
I am a newcommer to this forum, and people have been so helpful and kind.

Okay TPS - yes, it does appear to be the same controller (except that mine has only 4 axes - XYZ and 4 the Vital systems has 6). This was the reason that I bought it in the first place [it was a lot cheaper - it cost about $60]

I have wired it up as per your instructions. And I m in the process of configuring Mach4.

I will reply shortly to let you know if it has worked.

Thank You

Anthony

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 04:39:31 AM »
Hi,
in my previous post I thought that the Hicon directly enacted the motion commanded by the MPG.

Re-reading and studying the screenshot of TPS reply#7 I am less than sure. It certainly seems that the Mach4 plugin requires
inputs to be defined. I assumed this provided the means of the Hicon communicating back to Mach so that Mach could
stay in step with commands from the MPG, but maybe that's not the case. Maybe, as you suggested the MPG signals
Mach THROUGH the Hicon, then Mach signals the Hicon to make the moves.

Either way it happens, just how is not as clear as I thought it was.

The shot attached (reply#7) suggested that the Mach plugin needed to be updated to accept the MPG inputs. The other inputs,
namely the axis selector switch are defined in the Hicon plugin but are relayed through the Mach plugin.

I use an ESS and it does similarly. If I define an input to the ESS it automatically updates the Mach plugin as well.
Not all, but most inputs are treated that way.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 05:47:47 AM »
Okay Craig - I would really like to get a control pendant working - but no, I am not in a mad rush (especialy if it saves me $200).

So, as you and TPS have suggested, I have wired-up the (what looks to be a Vital Systems clone) pendant, and am currently trying to configure it in Mach 4.

I cannot get it to move my machine.

However, it does light up some of the green lights in Diagnostic -> Hicon -> Hicon Status Screen; indicating that I probably have a configuration problem. In TPS's post showing the Hicon Configuration, I don't understand what those settings are (MPG0X, MPG0Y, MPG0inc0, etc.), or why they have been assigned P14 1,3,5,6,4,2,0 ??

This is what happens in Hicon Diagnostic ...
First of all P14 8 and 9 inputs are showing as ON (green light on)
Press the enable button on side of controller ======= P14 0 and 3 light up
Press emergency stop button ======== P14 10 lights up
Turn wheel clockwise ===== P14 9 Flickers
Turn wheel anticlockwise ===== P14 8 Flickers
Turn left black knob (OFF x Y Z 4) ======= nothing happens
Turn right black knob (x1 x10 x100) ======= nothing happens

Anthony
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:52 AM »
Sorry .... this is what happens ....
First of all P14 8 and 9 inputs are showing as ON (green light on)
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in off position) ======= P14 2 lights up
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in x position) ======= P14 1 & 2 lights up at same time
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in y position) ======= P14 2 & 3 lights up at same time
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in z position) ======= P14 2 & 5 lights up at same time
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in 4 position) ======= P14 2 lights up

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 06:19:45 AM »
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in off position) ======= P14 2 lights up
means MPG0 Inc is selected
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in x position) ======= P14 1 & 2 lights up at same time
means MPG0 X and MPG0 Inc is selected
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in y position) ======= P14 2 & 3 lights up at same time
means MPG0 Y and MPG0 Inc is selected
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in z position) ======= P14 2 & 5 lights up at same time
means MPG0 Z and MPG0 Inc is selected
Press the enable button on side of controller (whilst axis selector is in 4 position) ======= P14 2 lights up
means MPG0 Inc is selected but MPG0 A is not selected -> Looks like wiring problem
means E-Stop button is wired correctly but is is not assigned at the Moment we will have a look for this later
means the turn wheel seems to bee connected correct

i think you have to press the enable button hold it and turn the knob to see P14 1..x seen changing.

i also think you have to press an hold enable button during Operation.

anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:30 AM »
However, it does light up some of the green lights in Diagnostic -> Hicon -> Hicon Status Screen; indicating that I probably have a configuration problem. In TPS's post showing the Hicon Configuration, I don't understand what those settings are (MPG0X, MPG0Y, MPG0inc0, etc.), or why they have been assigned P14 1,3,5,6,4,2,0 ?
MPG0 X, MPG0 Y, MPG0 Z, MPG0 A is the selection of the axis you whant to move
MPG0 Inc0, MPG0 Inc1, MPG0 Inc2 is the step distance you whant to move (0,001 0,01 0,1 1mm...)

P14 1,3,5..... are the physical Inputs from Hicon where your Hardware signals (pedant Signals) are wired zo.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »
Yes TPS, you are right.

If I hold down the enable button, the axes move .... excellent work!!

I only have 3 axes ... so I don't need position 4.

Now - how do I assign emergency stop button in the configuration screens please?

And, how do I make it so that I can enable from pendant (and not have to hold button permenantly)?

Thanks
Anthony

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
Now - how do I assign emergency stop button in the configuration screens please?

here it starts to get hard for me because i don't have a hicon Controller and don't even use Mach4,
but lets try

Device -> something with Hicon
Input Name -> something like [P14] Input 10