Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:24:54 AM

Author Topic: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit  (Read 80592 times)

Re: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:22 PM »
Just for good measure I hooked my analog oscilloscope up to the 24v from my limit switches to see if it's clean and it triggered at 24.8V and displayed a clean, smooth, triangle wave with about an 8.25mS period (122Hz) and 2.2V from peak to trough.
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
Anybody know a good place to get springs?  How about to guesstimate what the appropriate spring rate is to preload this screw/nut?
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
Just reporting that there is nothing to report.  As much as I'd like to have this machine up and running I had to change my focus to other projects.  In a couple or few weeks hopefully I can get back to it.  In the mean time if anyone has any info on my questions about springs for the backlash removing mechanism on the ballscrews I'd appreciate hearing it.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
Are the springs Belleville washers?    Basically a cupped spring steel washer.

They should be available fairly easy with a quick search of bearing etc suppliers in your area.

Wayne....
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »
No they are regular coiled springs that keep pressure on pushrod mechanisms.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
Do you have a pic of the mechanism?

Wayne...
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
Wayne, nope.  I have the spindle wizard drawing of the position wizard table with the parts break out but I haven't removed the table to get to the mechanism beyond the adjustment points which can be reached without removing the table.  I figure anyone who would know the information that would help me would already understand what I am talking about.
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2008, 01:50:29 PM »
I haven't taken the table off to replace the ballscrew bellows and fix/adjust the backlash adjusting mechanism but the machine does move so I've given into the temptation to try to start using it already.

I started by trying to surface a big piece of steel and figured out both that I need to get some decent tooling and I needed to square up the head.  I had thought just setting the head to zero according to the indicators would get the head pretty square with the table but apparantly not.  When I tried surfacing the steel I got a terrible surface finish and could feel channels in it from the end mill not being square with the table. 

I found that my nsk dial indicator set mounted well to an empty 3/4" tool holder via sticking the magnetic base to the end of the tool holder--go figure, it was actually quite rigid and a good set up.  I set up the indicator so that rotating the spindle would spin the indicator around in as large a diameter circle as possible without hitting the t-slots--about 5.4".

At start the difference between the high reading and low reading was huge--something like 70 thousandths.  I first adjusted whatever you call the side to side rotation of the head which was the most off.  Then I adjusted whatever you call the front the back rotation of the head.  I went through several itterations of that with my nsk .001 indicator which has a nice, easy, smooth movement.  When I got it down to one thousandth run out (difference between the highest and lowest reading) I switched to my starret .0001 indicator.  At this point I had the bolts which lock down the head half tightened(otherwise the readings change when you lock down the adjustment).  I was getting a fine enough adjustment now that I would overshoot and probably went through another dozen itterations before I got it dialed in but I did in the end get it dialed in.  In the end I had 2 tens run out (.0002") that was variation in the table surface not alignment of the head.

After squaring the head I tried surfacing the piece of steel again and was getting a good surface; however, I destroyed my chineese end mill about 1/4 through the job.  I did a bad job "touching" and got my z offset wrong--that much I know.  I probably had my speed and feed wrong too.  I need to get myself a handbook since I don't know what I'm doing.  I also went straight to the internet and ebay to try to find a good yet affordable tool for surfacing.  I ended up getting a 2" diameter 90 degree Iscar face mill that uses tangimill inserts and a pack of new ic328 lnat15 inserts for it at a steel on ebay.  I would have prefered IC908 inserts as I'll be wanting to surface aluminum too but oh well--the budget is very tight and I still have to order a nmtb40 arbor for it.
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
One milestone reached....making chips.
A good sign.
Congrats.,
RC
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
I got a speed and feed calculator off of ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230294668188

I'm hopefull with this I won't be destroying any/many more tools.