Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:32:43 AM

Author Topic: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit  (Read 80398 times)

Re: Ex-Cell-O Spindle Wizard to retrofit
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »
I think M5 just DeActivates M3 or M4. It's in the VB code, no pin  assignment.
Just guessing, not sure.
RC
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »
Thanks,

sounds like I'll have to do some learning to customize mach before giving it spindle control.  My m3, m4, and m5's are discrete momentary inputs.  Actually all my m codes except for quill lock are momentary outputs.  I don't know where m codes are defined yet but maybe i can just de-define them and write a brain that activates the appropriate output for the appropriate time when an m code is called so I can do them all in one place?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:13:19 AM by usfwalden »
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
Anybody have any suggestions for adding an index to my spindle?  I'm thinking a little magnet/bump mounted on the side of my spindle pulley and some sort of hall effect sensor/proximity switch to pick up when it passes.  Does anybody make a kit for this?
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Thanks,

That's kind of cool but to mount that (at least the way they show it)I would have to pull my spindle belt off to get a ring on the bottom half of my varispeed pulley (the top half moves up and down for the varispeed).  I'm hoping to do something where I can screw a screw into the side of the bottom half of my spindle pulley so I can do it without pulling it apart.  An optical sensor like that would be ok but it would have to count breaks in the beam instead of connections (maybe it counts the same if the beam is connected for 359 degrees?).

Why do you need the board and not just the interupt module?  http://www.cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/nte3100.pdf  I'll ask Rufi what the minimul pulse width the dspmc will pick up is.  I'd think I could just use the interupt module wired straight to the dspmc and it should pick up breaks from a set screw passing through it.

I bought this indexer and it work great

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=129
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:28:36 PM by usfwalden »
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »

You could also use one of these with a piece of reflective tape on the shaft, this work like an indexer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270267755646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
how good are those at only picking up reflective tape and not picking up splotches of not rusty vs rusty.  Actually I guess there aren't any not rusty spots on my pulley.  http://ecutune.com/mill/DSC_5616.jpg

You could also use one of these with a piece of reflective tape on the shaft, this work like an indexer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270267755646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »
i talked to rufi at vital systems and he said since we aren't using the parallel port driver he thinks the dspmc needs to do the counting and to hook it up to one of my spare encoder inputs.  So what I'm going to do is get the photocoupler interupter dealy--I guess that nte part linked to above....and a us digital EA-D-L-10-W5 differential encoder adapter driver to convert the signal into a differential encoder signal...and a us digital CA-FC10-W8-NC-1 cable to connect the driver to the dspmc break out board for encoder connections.  I went ahead and ordered the us digital parts while I had them on the phone telling me what parts would work.
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »
What kind of backlash do most precision ground ballscrews have?  I checked and I have .0010" backlash on the y and .0008" backlash on the x.  I have the instructions for adjusting the backlash on the table and it's supposed to adjust down to .0002" but I wasn't able to reduce the backlash on the y.  I suspect the spring in the adjusting mechanism has lost a lot of it's tension over the last 30 years and that's why it's beyond its adjustment range.  I need to replace the bellows for the ballscrews too so I will look into replacing the springs in the backlash adjusting mechanism when I'm doing that in case I accidentally dissengage part of the mechanism that requires removing the table to get to.
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
A word of warning for others who might buy surplus opto22 stuff on ebay.  I bought eight g4 idc5 input modules that were supposed to be new old stock on ebay.  I don't know if they were actually qc rejects or what but 3 of the 8 intermittently go out--which if it's on a limit switch is pretty annoying.  I spoke with opto 22 tech support and reviewed my set up and all my wiring with them and verified that they are just bad modules and not anything I'm doing wrong or some other problem.  The date codes on them are from 96 so they are 12 years old.  Anyway I almost ordered new modules while I was on the phone with them but then decided to order grayhill modules through sager.  The grayhill modules through a distributor are cheaper than the retail opto22 modules and they have a lifetime warranty.