Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:03 AM

Author Topic: Goofy forum layout  (Read 7309 times)

Re: Goofy forum layout
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 05:49:56 AM »
Hi All
How do you sign out of the forum while reading "all unread topics", have a cup of tea, then sign in again and continue from where you left off as all unread topics have gone?
How do you mark all unread topics as read without reading them?
Graham

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Brett,
Thanks for the info on the theme setting, all is good again.

FWIW
Change is a good thing ,BUT , most of the time just find it to be a real PITA! :)

RICH

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
i can certainly live with the new forum style and changes, but what troubles me is watching the video they feature at the top.  my eye says the material they are milling at the start is aluminum.  after a long wait I am still hoping to retro my knee mill with mach, but when I watch that video I cringe.  I could have machined that job at 3x, 4x or more feed and speed and doc from whats shown, and watching this job running so inefficiently makes me hesitiate on using mach.  I know its capable of more, ive seen it carve great 3d art in soft material, so the software and computer stuff seems capable.  I think if the folk are going to promote mach as a dependable capable system, they should analyze what they are showing, make it look like it can do serious cutting, and stop posting vids of tooling sticking out 8 times further than it needs to, and drilling with full jobber length drills that walk all over the place because there is no spot or center drill.  if youre showing off your new lathe conversion, theres no excuse for not having the tailstock in line with the chuck, or having your tooling .030 above or below centerline.  jmho, ymmv.  comments welcome.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2019, 01:55:14 AM »
i can certainly live with the new forum style and changes, but what troubles me is watching the video they feature at the top.  my eye says the material they are milling at the start is aluminum.  after a long wait I am still hoping to retro my knee mill with mach, but when I watch that video I cringe.  I could have machined that job at 3x, 4x or more feed and speed and doc from whats shown, and watching this job running so inefficiently makes me hesitiate on using mach.  I know its capable of more, ive seen it carve great 3d art in soft material, so the software and computer stuff seems capable.  I think if the folk are going to promote mach as a dependable capable system, they should analyze what they are showing, make it look like it can do serious cutting, and stop posting vids of tooling sticking out 8 times further than it needs to, and drilling with full jobber length drills that walk all over the place because there is no spot or center drill.  if youre showing off your new lathe conversion, theres no excuse for not having the tailstock in line with the chuck, or having your tooling .030 above or below centerline.  jmho, ymmv.  comments welcome.

I agree. The video certainly does not demonstrate good machining / engineering practice or show the potential capabilities of Mach4. I am sure it will be changed for something more suitable.
PEACE
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2019, 02:02:09 AM »
Hi,
I think the general consensus is to get rid of the video altogether.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
there are a group of folk who post here, that I make sure to read all of their posts because they are the best here, and two have been kind to respond to my comment.  I think a video is a good idea, but using good machining technique, id guess 8 minutes could be trimmed from that machining operation, even on my knee mill if it was running, likely more with what appears to be an older matsuura maybe 500 series?  then the vid would make folk say "wow" rather than "eww".  practical machinist is one of the larger commercial machining forums, and they take pleasure in damning anything mach, even though they still think mach is the same thing it was decades? ago running from the parallel port.  artsoft needs to have people see their work performing at best capacity and capability, or the "Hobby" level will continue to define them.  and theres nothing wrong with hobby, but this is a hobby video of a machine that I suspect is much more capable than it is shown to be.  I don't expect mach to be the million dollar jet blade surfacing machine I used to run, but across the shop was a matsuura 500 in oem shape, and with 2 vises and 2 stops per vise id be expected to yield 20 of these parts shown in the vid per hour likely more.  dry milling alum, spending time machining air, and generating paper thin chips does not show off what I think mach can do.  perhaps im wrong?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:02 PM »
I too have reverted to the SMF layout as I find the Mach layout harsh and the video is annoying.
Without engineers the world stops