Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:51 PM

Author Topic: Goofy forum layout  (Read 7316 times)

Re: Goofy forum layout
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »

And I always use the "Show Unread Posts", which can now be found by clicking on your name in the upper right corner.

I used to use that as well ! Thanks for finding it and pointing it out.
Russ

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
I have reverted to the old theme (SMF default - curve) as per Chaoticone's instructions - all is right in the world now. No video, same screens as before.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
Hi MN300,
I reverted to the smf theme as well, and as much for familiarities I prefer it.

I'm not so sure that the video is still not running, or rather being loaded even if its not displayed.

When running the Mach theme on each occasion I would return to the top page of the forum the video clip
would load anew and totally unnecessarily. This is a waste of bandwidth. My request is that the video stream
be removed from the page, or perhaps able to be downloaded by clicking on a thumbnail say.

The next question I have is why the team developed the new theme at all? Clearly the same database is used
to construct two visually different pages but contain exactly the same information. Is the new theme in some
way better than the smf default? Is there a new development around the corner for which the new theme
is required?

Is there some fault or deficiency with the smf theme? If not, then why bother.....I would have thought/hoped that
updating the API.chm in Mach4, or documenting the Surface Map module would have taken preference.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »
I brought up the Task manager and see the network activity go to zero when not on a page with the video.
Pausing the video stops the download too.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
Hi MN300,

I brought up the Task manager and see the network activity go to zero when not on a page with the video.

Kool, I never thought to do that.....makes perfect sense.
What I had noted was that despite pausing the video (with the pause button) the load bar at the bottom of the
video window carried on loading, which I assumed was consuming data over my Interenet connection.

Craig

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
Best is to use Opera Browser.
All ads. in sites like Youtube etc will automatically be filtered off if ad blocker is on in Opera.
Then download add-on for opera called disable HTML autoplay.
This add-on (also available for Chrome) will stop video autoplay. But you can choose to play by clicking on the video and enjoy the video without Ads.
(See attached)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:21:38 PM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 06:47:04 PM »

As I said earlier, pausing does not stop anything as far as the progress bar or the Task Mgr. is concerned here.
Russ
 :)

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
I tried the task manager again. When I hit pause the download stopped for about 10 seconds. Then there were spikes every 9 or 10 seconds. After a minute or so they stopped. Then the data would start and stop with pause.
If you change the theme you only are on the screen with the video until you hit Login - less than a second if you are quick.
I tried making a bookmark for the login screen so I could skip the home screen but then an error occurs when I try to log in.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 02:05:44 AM »

As I said earlier, pausing does not stop anything as far as the progress bar or the Task Mgr. is concerned here.
Russ
 :)

YOU are right.
If using MACH theme,
Video even when paused is still being downloaded in background. HTM5 autoplay diabled only reduce the CPU utilization but not the video download.

When Theme changed back to (SMF default - curve)
CPU utilization is low & Network (downloading of Video) are stopped.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 02:24:50 AM »
Hi reuelt,
I have found the same thing, if I use the new theme the video downloads whether I pause it or not, whereas if I use
the SMF theme the video does not download.

I don't really care which theme I use but I don't want to be unnecessarily downloading a video all the time. Ergo I will
use the previous (SMF) theme.

Craig