Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 07:30:30 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin  (Read 5942 times)

Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin
« on: March 24, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
How long does it take to receive the Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin after ordering it.
Thanks
Ron
Re: Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
Hello Ron,

You will need to download the plugin itself here: https://www.machsupport.com/downloads-updates/main-programs/

After you purchase the license, you will receive an email with a link to download the license file. Once downloaded, use the 'Load License File' button in the Help>About menu in Mach4 to install.

Best wishes,
Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »
Thanks Bryanna
I’m a big dummy, we were waiting for a PCI card. ;D

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »
Just remember that you will need Windows XP or Windows 7 32bits to be able to use Mach4 with MACH4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin
Window 8.x, Windows 10 32bits will NOT work.
All 64bits version of windows will also not work.

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
Why on earth would you want to run Mach4 off a parallel port? You could use that $25 toward a purchase of a Warp9 or other modern controller?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:23:03 PM by wmgeorge »
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:25 PM »
Hi,
the Darwin Mach4 parallel port is a cheap way to dip your toes in the Mach4 setup. It is not fully developed,
nor will it ever be, stuff like backlash comp, lathe threading and THC are not supported. If those limitations
do not concern you then its a good choice.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:02:36 AM »
Why on earth would you want to run Mach4 off a parallel port? You could use that $25 toward a purchase of a Warp9 or other modern controller?
As long as the so called modern Controller does NOT support less functions and is making machine less reliable.
THC?
Sensitivity to EMI?
Buffer underuns?
Pendants not supported?
Slave axis?
Just be honest...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:06:41 AM by reuelt »
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:11 AM »
Hi,
all of the currently available external motion controllers support more realtime functions than Darwin, the possible
exception is the UC**** series, they have only basic realtime functionality like Darwin.

THC?

The Hicon Integra has THC currently and the ESS realtime THC is being Beta tested now. Mach4 has a script based THC feature
as development release now. Darwin does not have it and Art has indicated that its not ever likely to have either.

Sensitivity to EMI?
Buffer underuns?

Sensitivity to EMI....on a controller board.....doesn't happen.
Buffer underruns is more like a parallel port gremlin but not unheard of with USB connected controllers.

Pendants not supported

That is not either a Mach issue OR a controller issue but rather the manufacturers of pendants not writing a plugin
for their device. To date VistaCNC have, and there are (Mach) community plugins for the Xbox and one XHC pendant,
and a NFS written plugin for the Shuttle Pro.

Slave axis?

Mach accommodates six coordinated axes each with a master and up to three slaves per axis and six Out-of-Band axes,
again with a master and up to three slaves per axis with a maximum of 32 motors. Darwin can have up to four ports
and therefore could handle 24 motors (24 pairs of step/dir pins), the ESS somewhat fewer at 18 motors. I can't really
imagine a hobbyists machine needing anything like that number of motors, so the actual upper limit of motor
numbers is of academic interest only.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
My Vista Pendent works fine in Mach4 with the new drivers (3/2019).  Warp9 ESS, RFI and EMI if you use shielded cabling for your limits, and your motors and the spindle also not a problem.   If your trying to run a plasma cutter without those and a shielded ground enclosure your going to have issues.  Ethernet is much Less prone to interference than the old parallel port cabling.  Does PlasmaCAM still use parallel? The one I did anyway and it was never a problem but I used a Hypertherm torch.

Oh and I am running a Slaved Axis on my CNC router, whats the issue?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:11:39 PM by wmgeorge »
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
PlasmaCam still use parallel port. But their software DesignEdge supports the latest WINDOWS 10 64 bits using the parallel port with no problem.