Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:48 AM

Author Topic: New to CNC and built my own CNC but now come the questions  (Read 7036 times)

Re: New to CNC and built my own CNC but now come the questions
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 08:17:00 PM »
Hi All, again want to say thanks for all the help you have given me, and Reuelt I love the way you think  :) on building a larger saw. MN300 I also agree in looking for away to keep dust away from my power supplies, THX. The learning curve as Craig said has just began and now asking what software would be a good start for me. I am just a hobbyist at this time and would like to make some simple signs and such. I have spent the last day looking and so much of the software is for true milling parts etc and extremely expensive. I just want to do some text and graphics (simple) stuff. Any suggestions again as always will be mucho appreciated.
Thanks Tim
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
Hi,
for chaining together operations like face the part, two rectangular pockets and a row of holes, MillWizard ($75 from NFS)
is very easy and often all that is required for simple engineering parts.

Fusion360 is a freeware CAD/CAM program and is pretty damn good.

I am not familiar with sign making and engraving software. It seems all the good stuff you have to pay for.

As an extreme example a fully optioned copy of Mastercam will cost $20,000 plus $2,500 annually for one seat!
Numbers like that make the price of Mach and its hardware look like chicken feed.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
"I just want to do some text and graphics (simple) stuff. "
Get some ebay "60deg v-bits" (1/2" 3/4" 1")

Download FREEWARE
1. F-engrave
2. DMAP2gcode
and
3. Gcode-ripper

They are excellent.

And you can get many many freeware "stick fonts" for F-Engrave. It also can use most True type Fonts from windows.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:51:23 PM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
Thanks Craig for speedy response. I guess again I don't understand what I should. I do own Mach3 software now but do I understand right that its only used as interface to my saw and can load Gcode into it. I am under the understanding I need a program to do my designs and then output to be loaded into Mach3. I thought Fusion 360 was free but looked at it and now have 30 day trail and then $500. Example I wanted to make small plaque stating my wife and I made our saw and then wanted to make a design for a bracket to connect a vacuum system. I saw that prices for doing truly extreme parts milling and watched so many YouTube video that are awesome. Those like commercial CNC machines are very expensive. I will download my trial version of Fusion 360.

Thanks Tim

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
Hi,
there seems to be a lot of people using Vectric.

The entry level Cut2D (Desktop) at $150 and VCarve (Desktop) at $350 sound like pretty good value.
I'm guessing that there is an upgrade path.

The cost of either ($150 or $350) or even the Pro versions of each ($450 or $700) are still really inline
with the investment you have made in the machine, Mach and Mach specific hardware.

If you went and bought a new truck and made mods and repairs to it......would you then scrimp by not putting gas in
it?

AutoDesk will try to get you to pay for Fusion360  but the vast majority of users do not.

AutoDesk have a simple policy 'take your trousers down and bend over while we extract money'. In the case of Fusion360
they are trying to get new customers familiar and loyal to the Autodesk brand. The opportunity they have presented
to amateurs, hobbyists and students is very good indeed and my previous comment about AutoDesk not withstanding
are to be congratulated.

Craig
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 09:21:04 PM »
 Well my stomach now hurts from laughing, your opinions are highly regarded but your while very practical and helps, you do it with great candor. I will go checkout your leads to apps. I did the Vcarve and they free trial does give you the full power of there app but will not let you export anything you create. I will also download Fusion 360 and see what it will let me do.

Tim
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »
Hi,

I did the Vcarve and they free trial does give you the full power of there app but will not let you export anything you create.

That is the norm with trial versions of CAD/CAM software. I suspect it changes when you buy it. I think you will find
some restrictions of similar nature in Fusion360 as well.....and they to evaporate or at least substantially reduce if you
pay up.

Making CNC parts is a process and its not unreasonable to say that CAD/CAM software underpins the whole thing, I mean
what good is a Mach CNC machine without Gcode programs for it to consume?

I would recommend your current course of trialing all and any software, get inputs from other users before buying.
Every CAD/CAM package I've come across requires considerable learning to get the most from it. You don't want to make
that investment only to realize that its not capable of your current requirements or future needs. The chances are that if you
buy a program you will gain so much familiarity with it that you will be a loyal customer of that company. This is exactly
what AutoDesk want and they cant be blamed for trying it.

Craig