Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:55:47 AM

Author Topic: My steppers don't move on my first build. Need help  (Read 3557 times)

My steppers don't move on my first build. Need help
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
Hey guys,
I built a windows 10 based system.  32 bit with a PCI card Parallel port.  Here's a quick run down on the setup process. 

I installed Mach 3, following the guide, and after the installation, rebooted as recommended.  After boot up, I ran a driver test with the parallel cable unhooked and got an excellent rating.  Plugged the cable back in and opened the custom profile I created per the manual and went to ports and pins, and set up just X for a test run to make sure I did everything correctly.  The breakout board showed P4 is  X pulse and P5 is X direction.  I entered 4 into Pin 4 and 5 into Pin 5.  Reset E stop and jog x.  Mach 3 shows x moving back and forth along with my keys but nothing on the actual stepper. 

At this point, I believe I need to look at the breakout board and the driver wiring unless someone recognizes where I've gone amiss.  I've attached a pic of the breakout board and the driver hooked up and the schematic of the Breakout Board.  What would be the next step in troubleshooting here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Re: My steppers don't move on my first build. Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 06:02:31 PM »
Also, from my understanding, I don't need the ENA hooked up to anything. I was just trying something and forgot I still had it hooked up.
When I get desperate, I do stupid stuff like hook up wires to see if I can get it to work.  When that fails, then I post on here for help lol.  No not really, just this one wire.  :D
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
I also just noticed that there's a discrepancy with the schematic.  The 1st I posted, was one I pulled thinking it was the same as what I got.  Apparently it is different and I noticed this when I was wiring it up because the pins are backwards to this one.  THIS is the correct Breakout Board schematic to what I actually have.  I have no idea why they look similar but are not this same.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
I got the M542T manual PDF from
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=392086.0;attach=162187

My answer is based on Figure 3: Connection to PNP signal (common-cathode) on page 4 of the manual.
I assume your breakout board outputs are the type that are driven either high or low, not open collector or similar.
It would help if you gave the model of your breakout board.

GND to PUL-
GND to DIR-
GND to ENA-

P4 to PUL+
P5 to DIR+
?? to ENA+
You do need to assign an enable pin. For initial testing you could connect ENA+ to +5V. Having the Mach connected to the enable is a safety item that could prevent a runaway.

Also keep the stepper motor wiring away from the control wiring.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Hi,
it was always, and still is true that Mach3's parallel port cannot run with ANY 64 bit OS.

So normal Windows 10 being 64 bit it out. I have seen no positive declaration by NFS but there has been discussion as to
whether Windows 10 32 bit will work.

This is one of the more recent posts on the subject:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=39211.msg263546#msg263546

ger21 is a very experienced operator and he is of the opinion that Windows 10 (32 bit or not) wont work.

This is another recent post and it looks like Tweakie actually tried it:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=39489.msg265120#msg265120

So if your PC has an X64 processor you are out of luck.

Can you post a screen shot of DriverTest.exe?
Does your breakout board have a charge pump input?

You may have noticed that probably half or more of all Mache users have stepped up to an external motion controller
like a UC300 or an Ethernet SmoothStepper, they work rather more reliably than a parallel port. Avoid Chinese made stuff,
it tends not to work properly and they wont help you.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'