Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:25:10 AM

Author Topic: hybrid servo motor, Pockeys57cnc and mach4  (Read 3976 times)

hybrid servo motor, Pockeys57cnc and mach4
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:10:15 AM »
Hi,
I feel really silly now, the new post button finally appeared after I asked this question in a poll base ???
I started up my pokeys57cnc board last night, completely novice to cnc and was wondering if someone could please assist in how I can get my hybrid servo motor working to test it. I do not understand the manual as the mapping of pins and so forth. Been looking for videos and can't seem to find any on how to go about mapping your motors enable to do jogging with them. Please be kind enough to assist.

thanks
Jonathan

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: hybrid servo motor, Pockeys57cnc and mach4
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:41:06 AM »
Hello Jonathan,

i will answere here, because other thread is not the right place i think.
i am afraid not to be a great help, because i have no experince in Mach4.
have you worked through all step's of the Manual witch start on page 30?

maybe one of the Mach4 guru's can jump in here.

Tom
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
Thanks.

I did work through that part I am more stuck in the pin mapping aspect of the motors.

Furthermore, I can't seem to change information regarding the motor settings, (velocity and all of those settings.) I have to mention I still using the demo version as I am trying to see how the software works.

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »
Can you share the specifics of what hybrid servo system you are using? I'll happily take a look at the manuals and see if we can figure out your wiring.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Sure thing.

Using 3 N.m servo (Hybrid) motor with a HSS60 driver. I just got them off amazon as I am only getting into the cnc hobby now and was the safest way to get them into South Africa.

Attached the servo driver document. I have it all wired up already and connected to the pokeys57cnc board and all. Just need to configure it now so that I can move it using Mach4

Thanks for helping!! Appreciate it!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:52:10 AM »
I need to add that when I enable mach4 I hear a sound in the servo and at the same time I can't turn the screw by hand so it is holding the torque but the moment I try and jog nothing happens. The motor is enabled in the motor section and also in the output section.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Awesome. Those are basic Step and Direction drives so wiring is simple.

In Mach 4 you will assign a PoKeys output pin to the step and direction pins for each axis. Write those down since your wiring will need to match.  Lets say the X axis step is pin 1 and X axis direction is pin 2. You need to wire pin 1 to the PUL+ terminal on your X axis driver and pin 2 to the DIR+ terminal. The PUL- and DIR- should be tied to DC common (0V). This configuration uses your PoKeys57 outputs as SOURCING outputs (think of it as current flowing out of the pin to the drive).

If you are using the enable signal from Mach to energize your motors (lets assume you set that up as pin 3) then pin 3 would be wired to the ENA+ and ENA- would be tied to DC common.

The drive also features an alarm output would I would recommend you tie back into a PoKeys57 input. This would be done by putting 5V on
ALM+ and wiring ALM- to the input pin on your PoKeys57.

NOTE: Your drive inputs appear to be optoisolated which could protect the PoKeys57 in the event of an equipment malfunction. This is good!

IMPORTANT. Your DC power supply to the drives and the DC power supply powering the PoKeys57 MUST have their DC common (0V) lines tied together. You could damage your equipment if this is not the case.

NOTE: My wiring suggestion differs from the diagram in the manual slightly. Theirs shows SINKING outputs where it looks like the PoKeys57 has SOURCING outputs.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »
I will take a look at the suggestion you made concerning the wiring.

I got the motor to turn with jogging ;D ;D ;D

My DC common wire that runs from the power supply to my pokeys board is the same one that I also supply to my Servo Driver. If I do understand you correctly??

Now I need to see how I can increase the speed of the servo. It really is turning slowly...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
You have been of such great help.

How will I go about getting the right Counts per unit; Velocity Units; Acceleration Units?

I have 1500 mm in length 16mm radius ballscrew with a 10mm pitch.

I want to mount the ball screw directly to the servo motor? i am aware that people use reduction belts. Not sure if I should make use of it. the easiest will be to mount the shaft directly to the servo motor but as mentioned I am a novice.

Any suggestion?

keep in mind we don't have easily accessible reduction pulleys and gears here in South Africa as you might in the States. Those you do get are very expensive.   
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
May I also ask if you can just draw an open hand sketch about the wiring you are speaking about?

Just to make sure I do understand you correctly.

If it is not to much to ask. In your spare time obviously