Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:15:23 AM

Author Topic: hybrid servo motor, Pockeys57cnc and mach4  (Read 3979 times)

Re: hybrid servo motor, Pockeys57cnc and mach4
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
Oh before I forget.

the Servo driver have settings on the driver that are set to default.. I notice one can set the Pulse/rev to 40000.

Not sure if I should make any changes there?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
Lets try these settings...

Assuming you want your units in metric (mm) and your motor is directly mounted to your ballscrew.

On the driver (setting 1600 steps/rev):
SW3: ON
SW4: OFF
SW5: ON
SW6: ON

Mechanically you have 1600 steps per 1 rev which moves 10mm. Therefore you have 160 steps/mm. This should be your setting in Mach 4.

One concern I have is that I saw in the PoKeys manual that the outputs are rated for 5mA max, but the drive will draw between 7-20mA. Hope that doesn't cause issues.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Timing belt reduction is not necessary if your motor has enough torque to move the machine. That goes beyond the scope of a wiring and configuration discussion. Velocity will be limited just as if it were a normal stepper motor.

I would say set the max to 500rpm to start (5000mm/min) and see how it runs. You might be able to go much faster but understand your torque requirements go up the faster you move and your motor's available torque drops. You want to set the speed low enough that your drive will never stall and fault.

Acceleration is another one you will need to determine with testing. With the closed loop drive, it should be able to get some high accelerations, but the motor may lag behind the command if going too fast causing positioning issues. High accelerations are probably more important than high speeds on a CNC, but just start with a reasonable value and test as you go higher.