Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:54:03 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 and Galill DMC 4133 on lathe  (Read 3921 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 and Galill DMC 4133 on lathe
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:30:38 PM »
Steve,    how much of a process is it to get the plug in to work do you just need a guinea pig  8)

archoe

It is a big process, unfortunately.  I would pretty much need to be sitting right beside the machine.  Program, then test.  Rinse and repeat until it is done.  So I need to have easy and quick access to the machine.  This is the whole reason I was converting my lathe.  Because I had thought that would be the only way to get it done.  Doing something like threading "virtually" is probably an impossibility, orr it would take forever and a day.  :(

Steve

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
One lathe has Servos and Drives from Automation Direct, one lathe has GSK Servos and Drives, and another is just running steppers.  All with the HiCON Integra.
We have an SL3 that me and my brother want to get the closed loop feature added on to just to see what kind of difference it makes, but we have really had great success with all 3 lathes without the closed loop feature.

Most of our I/O is being controlled through a PLC.  Much more stable signal and if I have any random ideas for the machine, I can run them through the PLC and not have to worry about Mach taking care of trivial things, like the lube pump or chip conveyor.

chad,
      i am going to pull some covers today and verify the loop was closed at the control  all servo systems have feedback it just depends on where the following error is monitored  at the drive or closer to the computer I would think that the harder you drive a machine the more you might see a difference in behavior. I am going to attempt to use the drives and servos  that are on the machine they are new.  the machine has  or had a PLC in it somewhere. All of this is going to be a steep learning curve for me.   mach 4, servo systems,  PLC  ect. screen writing maybe 
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
Pretty nice looking lathe. 
Hopefully you will be able to use the existing motors and drives. 
The first PLC I used, we programmed a Tool Change Routine for a Hurco VMC; so it won't be too bad. 
Luckily, on your lathe, you have a nice control panel that already has the handwheels and buttons on it, we had to make ours.
Chad Byrd

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Well I had to make one of the "hand wheels" what holds the encoders  it had only one.   I will round  up a couple of photos and post them   Manual lathes and a drill press. 

archie
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 12:34:30 AM »
Pretty nice looking lathe. 
Hopefully you will be able to use the existing motors and drives. 
The first PLC I used, we programmed a Tool Change Routine for a Hurco VMC; so it won't be too bad. 
Luckily, on your lathe, you have a nice control panel that already has the handwheels and buttons on it, we had to make ours.
Chad,
          what Plc's are you using with the integra and how did you figure out / learn how to program them

thank you
archie
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm using the Click PLC on 4 machines and rhe BRX PLC on one machine.   Both PLCs are from automation direct.   The Click is less expensive and is still very powerful.   Now that you cam search on the forum, you can search for "Click PLC" and get a few hits on this forum.   

I learned a few basics from YouTube.  Just searching for PLC ladder logic.   But mostly by just opening the software and digging in.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
Chad Byrd, I have an electronically dead Nardini 17 x40 in my garage, 20T Fanuc on it.  id really be interested in hearing everything you might be willing to tell about your lathes, probably with the exception of the GSK unit.  im thinking steppers myself, or finding some DC servos very similar to the ones on my (also electronically dead) 3 axis cnc acra turret mill knee driven, so I can use them across both machines.  if anyone else has comments also interested.  perhaps send by pm so as not to muck up Archies thread.  engine lathe no tool changer.  I will be looking primarily at PMDX or the UC controllers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:19:31 PM by metlcutr55 »

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 11:14:30 PM »
Chad Byrd, I have an electronically dead Nardini 17 x40 in my garage, 20T Fanuc on it.  id really be interested in hearing everything you might be willing to tell about your lathes, probably with the exception of the GSK unit.  im thinking steppers myself, or finding some DC servos very similar to the ones on my (also electronically dead) 3 axis cnc acra turret mill knee driven, so I can use them across both machines.  if anyone else has comments also interested.  perhaps send by pm so as not to muck up Archies thread.  engine lathe no tool changer.  I will be looking primarily at PMDX or the UC controllers.
  If I were looking to replace what I had on my lathe (which I am not)  I would only be looking at ac servos which are step and direction   like the cnc techniques or the dmm units   In my case the servos and drives are new which makes me very reluctant to tear it apart  archie :-)
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:26 PM »
Chad.
         I did some measuring today and it looks like the 19 inch monitor  that I have will fit in the space  where the monitor goes on the lathe and possibly a small form factor PC behind it .    otherwise I want to rename this thread "poking around in the dark".  It looks like I am going to have to pull alot of  the guarding off of the machine to get to the motors and wiring. I guess I am  going to get way more intimate with this machine than I ever wanted to,  like with another brand new manual machine i purchased the the same time i got this Lathe.  A story for another time.

Happy Hunting
archie  :)

Facebook archies machine
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 12:52:32 AM »
f I were looking to replace what I had on my lathe (which I am not)  I would only be looking at ac servos which are step and direction   like the cnc techniques or the dmm units   In my case the servos and drives are new which makes me very reluctant to tear it apart  archie :-)

for me Archie, I have the dc already on the mill and work fine, for 10 years with just brush replacements and blowout the carbon.  I also have a spare, so want my lathe to use the same motors, amps, and electronics as close as possible.

ken
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:55:26 AM by metlcutr55 »