Author Topic: Lathe trouble  (Read 210 times)

Offline Hobbyist

• View Profile
Lathe trouble
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »
I have been using Mach3 version 062 with a smoothstepper on a lathe for a number of years.  In the middle of running a program all motion stopped and an error popped up on the screen saying the smoothstepper had run out of data.  When I tried to zero the axis' there was a major loss of steps and calibration was out to lunch.  All of the configuration numbers still seem to be correct.  So far, I have re-installed Mach, updated the smoothstepper plug-in, replaced the network cable, verified that there is power to all boards, and fixed up some wiring from when I was running it from a parallel port until the computer died and it was replaced.  The 64 bit operating system is Windows 7.  Anyone have an idea where to check next?

Online Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Lathe trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:01 AM »
This FAQ from the Warp9 website may be helpful to you;  https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach3#RanOutOfData

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline Hobbyist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
I have worked my way through the suggestions on the warp9 link, however, it seems as though what ever happened is now causing both the X and Z axis to lose steps because it will not move the correct amount at all.  Everything else seems to be working correctly.

Online Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:25:40 AM »
Try creating a new profile then run that to see if there is any improvement. You could possibly have a corrupt .xml which is causing the problem with your existing profile.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline Hobbyist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
I actually uninstalled Mach, deleted the Mach3 folder and set up a new profile manually for the new installation.  No change.  The computer was purchased new in 2014 with Windows 7 and worked perfectly till now.  The drivers are currently running from port 1 on the ESS with everything else on port 3, I will see if I can switch from port 1 to port 2 without too much trouble.

Offline stevehuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 06:11:04 PM »
I just recently went through a similar problem. Cause was the breakout board took a $h!t. Is it possible that the smooth stepper board is starting to fail?

Offline Hobbyist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:15 AM »
While it is possible that there may be an issue with the smoothstepper, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and more likely suspect a poor connection somewhere in my system.  I have cobbled it together with various components scattered in three different enclosures with numerous feet of cabling between them.  The only conclusion I can come up with is to dismantle everything and put it all into one proper enclosure.

Online Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:58 AM »
The only conclusion I can come up with is to dismantle everything and put it all into one proper enclosure.

Sounds like a good plan.

Tweakie.