Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:27:22 PM

Author Topic: Lathe trouble  (Read 2761 times)

Lathe trouble
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »
I have been using Mach3 version 062 with a smoothstepper on a lathe for a number of years.  In the middle of running a program all motion stopped and an error popped up on the screen saying the smoothstepper had run out of data.  When I tried to zero the axis' there was a major loss of steps and calibration was out to lunch.  All of the configuration numbers still seem to be correct.  So far, I have re-installed Mach, updated the smoothstepper plug-in, replaced the network cable, verified that there is power to all boards, and fixed up some wiring from when I was running it from a parallel port until the computer died and it was replaced.  The 64 bit operating system is Windows 7.  Anyone have an idea where to check next?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:01 AM »
This FAQ from the Warp9 website may be helpful to you;  https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach3#RanOutOfData

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
I have worked my way through the suggestions on the warp9 link, however, it seems as though what ever happened is now causing both the X and Z axis to lose steps because it will not move the correct amount at all.  Everything else seems to be working correctly.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:25:40 AM »
Try creating a new profile then run that to see if there is any improvement. You could possibly have a corrupt .xml which is causing the problem with your existing profile.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
I actually uninstalled Mach, deleted the Mach3 folder and set up a new profile manually for the new installation.  No change.  The computer was purchased new in 2014 with Windows 7 and worked perfectly till now.  The drivers are currently running from port 1 on the ESS with everything else on port 3, I will see if I can switch from port 1 to port 2 without too much trouble.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 06:11:04 PM »
I just recently went through a similar problem. Cause was the breakout board took a $h!t. Is it possible that the smooth stepper board is starting to fail?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:15 AM »
While it is possible that there may be an issue with the smoothstepper, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and more likely suspect a poor connection somewhere in my system.  I have cobbled it together with various components scattered in three different enclosures with numerous feet of cabling between them.  The only conclusion I can come up with is to dismantle everything and put it all into one proper enclosure.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:58 AM »
The only conclusion I can come up with is to dismantle everything and put it all into one proper enclosure.

Sounds like a good plan.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
Update: The system is now rewired into one enclosure with a remote fixed pendant.  There are now two problems to resolve: The first problem is still the original one where after getting a run out of data error from the ESS and the program stopped in the middle of a pass, I was not able to recalibrate either axis.  An MDI input of 0.1 inch results in about 0.06 of movement.  Mach3 R3.043.062 was reinstalled and configured along with all of the plugins, ESS 2019_02_25 10w2a-10f1 as well as for the pendant.  The second problem is related to the pendant, (a C22 and M36 from CNC4PC).  When I change the range switch to the X100 position pin 10 does not energize but every other function works.  It used to work just fine when I had it connected directly to the ESS with a 26 conductor ribbon cable.  The M36 is now connected to the C22 with a DB25 cable with power supplied by the C22 which is connected to the ESS by a ribbon cable.  Any ideas?

John

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
As The computer was purchased new in 2014, i would recommend that you open the computer case and use compressed air to blow out all the accumulated dust especially from CPU heat sink and inside the Power supply.
CPU makers intentionally slow down the CPU speed when temperature rises - to protect CPU from damage because they provide 3-years warranty.
CPU automatically slowing down is bad for CNC.
(When I bought my CNC router from an unhappy Mechanical Engineer, he gave me his PC and quite a few quality end mills and even a spare lathe chuck and spare z axis threaded rod for free. As I build and sell computers, the first thing i did was to open the computer case to have a look. The CPU heat sink was completely chocked  with dust and the CPU fan had also died. After the cleanup and a new CPU fan everything ran very well. Sorry Mechanical Engineer, it's wasn't MACH3' fault)

Next I would recommend the look ahead lines to be 200 lines or more. Mach3 defaults to 20 but Mach4 defaults to 200 lines.

Windows 7 will run better if superfetch & windows update services are both disabled. Turn them on 1/2 yearling - update everything at night and disable them again.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:22:16 PM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"