Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:41:43 PM

Author Topic: Set z axis to zero with pen or pencil inserted in mill  (Read 3608 times)

Set z axis to zero with pen or pencil inserted in mill
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:26 AM »
Hi All

Just wanting to know if and how to set z manually in mach3 before running the gcode.
I want to insert a pen or a pencil set zero and run the gcode, I have the auto zero feature with the sensor but I dont believe that will work with a non metalic tip in the router, so is it possible to lower the z axis and set the 0 height before running a job. I am new to mach3 and just crushed 1 pencil testing :P so thought i would ask

Hope it makes sense

Cheers

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Set z axis to zero with pen or pencil inserted in mill
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:49 AM »
Probably the easiest way of resolving this is to use a spring loaded pen / pencil which can be manually lowered to the work surface, zero set, then raised to a clearance height before starting the Gcode.

You may need to use a bit of imagination to construct the spring loaded pen / pencil but (if only the forum Search facility was working) there are many examples here on the forum. I use a spring loaded knife for vinyl cutting and the height for this is usually set the way I have just described.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »
So which button do I click to manually set z for the job, as normally I would just put down my probe and hit auto zero, the hit start, it would return home then execute the gcode.

In my test I inserted the pencil into the collett..lowerd the z axis to 1mm above the material using a plastic packer.mmy gcode was set to -1mm...but I clicked remember under auto tool zero...thinking this would remember my z height....wrong...I lifted the z axis clicked run...the mill moved across and just pushed the pencil into the board...so I guess I want to know how to manually set the z tool height without auto zero function.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »
I use the jog keys to lower the Z axis  then Zero the axis DRO when the cutter is touching the surface of the work.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
Thank you for that...it seems to be working now, thought I would see if it would do a drawing...I made sure the spindle didnt turn on and it has started drawing :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:45 AM »
Hi Dragon_sa,

Now the forum search function is back here is a link to probably the simplest spring loaded pen;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=16012.msg108100#msg108100

Tweakie.
PEACE