Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:48:31 PM

Author Topic: Steppers rhythmically stuttering  (Read 6033 times)

Steppers rhythmically stuttering
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »
I have a problem with my steppers

The problem is all three of my axis are rhythmically stuttering. The steppers seem to be interrupted in a very short and rhythmic way slightly faster than every second.  When I first installed the software everything worked fine. It has gradually become worse. When I first load mach 3 (ver2) it is often very bad and the stutter is big and often the motors stall completely. If I then reboot the problem is often much smaller with the stutter lasting a fraction of a second.

I have tried lots of different things from the forums
I have changed the step and dir pulse to 5 us and I have turned all other programs off in the startup using msconfig. I think I have turned off ACPI it can no longer be put in standby. Changing the step and dir pulse to 5 seemed to slightly improve things but not completely.

I have used the driver test programme and for pulses per second in 25khz im getting from 24390 to 24400 I have little idea what this stuff means and I dont know if its any help but the cpu speed is 996 and the light for "Apic is present" is lit

Thanks
Re: Steppers rhythmically stuttering
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
Anyone have any ideas about this problem?  I seem to be having a very similar problem also.  I just finished building my machine over the weekend and everything worked fine yesterday.  Today when I jog the machine in the x long axis I rhythmically get a little jerk all the way along the axis.  It is driven by 2 steppers on rack and pinion.  I think it is also doing it slightly on the Y but very minimal.

Thanks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
Can you post a screen shot of the driver test?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
How do I get a screen shot to post?

Thanks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:08:48 PM »
Sorry I should have been more clear.  How do I get a screen shot of the test screen?  Is there a selection on the screen to select to save a screen shot or do I have to use another program.  I am not at the computer with Mach installed, maybe when I get to that computer later today it will be clear.

Thanks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:41:23 PM »
I'm sorry Skinner. You can do it with your Prt Scn key or, I like this free screen capture program.

http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Brett

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:42:08 PM »
I found out what the problem is.  I use a USB flash drive to transfer files from my design computer to the Mach computer.  When the flash drive is plugged in I get the stuttering problem.  When I remove it the stuttering goes away.  So the problem is fixed. :)
This is the same computer I used with the old router and did not have the problem.  Must be the differences in the way Mach is now configured.  I will just make sure I remove the flash drive before running the router.

Thanks for listening and the screen capture advise, I'm sure I will need it in the future.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »
Good to hear Skinner.

Brett