Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:47 PM

Author Topic: inputs and probes  (Read 989 times)

inputs and probes
« on: November 29, 2018, 03:53:06 AM »
Hi
I have ordered a ESS and C82 
But I have been looking through the Mach4 software will I await its arrival and it occurs to me in the control panel the inputs section   the Probe  0 to 3 probes are dedicated and can't be assigned to other inputs is that correct ?
If that is correct I assume the ESS smooth stepper board will also have the dedicated input to match 
The same apply to E stop and the XYZ home switchs 

is Probe able to use any input if so where do you configure it
Regards Ray

Re: inputs and probes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 05:03:41 AM »
Hi,
the ESS has a total of 51 inputs/outputs.

You could dedicate 4 inputs to Probe1, Probe2.....Probe4 for instance. Note that Probe1, Probe2 etc are Mach4 inputs.
How many of them you use, if any at all, is up to you. If you want to use G31.X probing commands then Mach will
look at ISIG_PROBEX as the probe contact event.

For instance:
G31.2 Z -5 F50 will cause your machine to probe in its current XY location to a lowest of Z= -5mm at a speed of 50mm/min.
Mach will monitor ISIG_PROBE2 for the probe contact event. I suppose you could use  ISIG_PROBE2 as a signal to do something
else, turn a light ON or OFF say but why?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:00:58 AM »
Hi
I will only use one probe but in the mach4 control panel it has all the inputs listed then lists probe and E stop  but what if I wanted to use input #1 as the probe input  or does ESS have a input marked probe and I have to use that one  for probe
if it does that fine and what I will do

But if it does not how would I assign input one to read as probe

Regards Ray

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:24:44 AM »
Hi Ray,

The ESS documentation, including setting up a probe with Mach4 is here;  https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/gettingstarted/setting-up-the-smoothstepper-and-mach4#EssProbing

(Although reading all the Warp9 and ESS documentation is bit of a bore it pays to skip through as much of it as you can looking for things current of interest).

Tweakie.
PEACE